XPS

Last reply by 07-15-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Internal Speakers Not Working - XPS 15 7590

For a couple of years, my laptop (XPS 15 7590) has been connected to a docking station, with two 32" monitors, external speakers, mouse, and keyboard all being driven from that docking station. Two days ago, I unplugged from the docking station to carry the laptop to another room, something I rarely do. I found at that time my internal speakers are not working. My default sound setting is "Speakers/Headphones, Realtek(R) Audio." When I go to properties and click "test" all the right graphics appears, as if everything works fine, but I'm getting no sound. I've tested with volume all the way up, at 50%, and at 20%....no sound. When I test, there are four options to select from, and I've tried them all (24 bit, 48000 Hz, 16 bit, 48000 Hz, 24 bit, 44100 Hz, and 16 bit, 44100Hz). I've checked for updated drivers for the Realtek icon in the Device Manager. I've also disabled then enabled the driver. I've restarted the laptop. Nothing gets the sound to work. Plugging speakers directly into the laptop works. Connecting back to the docking station works. Running with nothing attached to the laptop - no sound.

I did have a tech make a site visit last January to replace my laptop's keyboard under warranty. I'm wondering if he may have forgotten to plug my speakers back in, or knocked something loose if he didn't purposely disconnect them? (Yes, it's been that long since I've disconnected from the docking station). 

What could I be missing? 

System details copied from "About" in Windows 11: 

Device name DESKTOP-OL0AOLT
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID 52568741-75D0-4FB8-B012-606B87BDD3BB
Product ID 00325-81635-18078-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎29/‎2021
OS build 22000.778
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.778.0

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
9 Rhodium

Based on what you report, the speakers are likely internally unplugged.

Relatively easy to check, according to service manual. Remove back cover and battery and the speaker connection is accessible.

XPS 15 Service Manual (dell.com)

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro, 22H2, SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

View solution in original post

Replies (5)
9 Rhodium

Based on what you report, the speakers are likely internally unplugged.

Relatively easy to check, according to service manual. Remove back cover and battery and the speaker connection is accessible.

XPS 15 Service Manual (dell.com)

I am not a Dell Employee

Windows 11 64 bit Pro, 22H2, SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

I tend to agree, and if that's the case, can probably take care of it myself. However, I'm convinced it's unplugged from when the tech worked on it, and I have an extended warranty that doesn't expire until February. I don't want to void the warranty before then, so I will not open the back unless the service folks recommend it. Otherwise, I want them to send someone to fix their mistake. 

Thanks! 

Since its still under warranty have them fix it (disconnected speakers or some other problem).

But, opening to check would not void warranty.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

I'm glad I let the tech do it. Speakers work now, but he also found there were two missing screws on the bottom of the laptop, and all 8 of the screws that hold the battery in place were gone. Since I have never opened the laptop, we (the tech and I) assume the last tech simply didn't put them in place. His supervisor wouldn't let him fix it then, but wanted me to file another ticket. I did, they asked for pictures which I sent, and they'll be out here to replace the screws and replace the battery, which the help desk person stated looked a bit swollen. Speaker issue fixed...now for more issues before I run out of my warranty in February.  

Hi, I am Supriya the case owner.

We do not want to bother you with our repeated follow-ups. May I ask if we can temporarily archive the case for now? If you need further help, you can always write to us.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor