Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2018 21:00

Internal speakers not working on XPS 9360

Hey there,

Integrated speakers stopped working but headphones work. I ran a pre-bot diagnostic and I noticed that the speakers don't work either (no beeping sounds).

When testing on Windows 10 speakers barely "pops" with no sound at all. I tried removing the device form device manager and update driver. Unfortunately the problem persist.

Windows 10 home.
Latest Realtek drivers from Dell (ALC3266 6.0.1.8245 ,A12).

What should I do to fix this?

5 Posts

July 6th, 2019 08:00

XPS 13 9360 - SOLVED FOR ME- No internal speaker sound but OK to Headphones.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check in Device Manager_ Sound,video & game controllers. There are two drivers, Intel and Realtek. Check in properties/events to ensure that it states "migrated" In my case the drivers had not migrated. The culprit was the Intel driver. This audio driver is included within the Intel 620 HD Graphics driver package, so you need to reinstall this. I had to first select the "uninstall" option for the Intel Display Audio driver via properties. I believe that the Intel driver enables audio to be sent alongside video via HDMI/DVI cables to external monitors. I came to the conclusion, along the way, that the problem was for video/audio MP4 files, such as Youtube, but not for audio only MP3 files. Worth checking out when investigating your problem.   The Waves MaxxaudioPro then worked correctly, including the test function.  Hope this helps. By the way, audio testing is available in advance settings, after selecting F12 to enter the BIOS. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 28th, 2018 06:00

@godlikest" ran a pre-bot diagnostic and I noticed that the speakers don't work either (no beeping sounds)."

Hello. If you pressed the "Perform Quick Audio Check" in the ePSA (pre-boot) diagnostics and did not hear the series of octave tones, then the speakers have either failed or become disconnected. There is no software solution for failure of the Quick Audio Check.

If the laptop is still under warranty contact tech support to get it repaired.

4 Posts

February 28th, 2018 07:00

@Jim Coates Thanks Jim for the prompt response.

Suddenly the speakers worked again, I didn't touch anything. I just leave it plugged to the wall all night and when I turned on this morning the speakers worked without issues.

No "pops", no weird sounds. I believe that it could be related to the fact that the day it stopped working I almost run out of battery. Could be related?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 28th, 2018 10:00

I don't know if Jim has an idea, but perhaps running the diagnostic helped repair the situation.

I was going to bring up the Bios may have a setting to disable internal speakers.  If you headset was working, I would not think this setting was incorrect but if it happens again, you might try disabling the speakers, rebooting and then re-enabling.

You did run the Pre-Boot diagnostics in Advanced mode and checked the speakers?

4 Posts

February 28th, 2018 12:00

I wasn't able to run the actual audio check (the option wasn't there, I read somewhere that you need to download the old diagnostic tool). But I noticed that you can test the speakers in the new diagnostic tool, just fool it by click "no" after the thing ask you if you saw any video signal. If you do that the thing starts to test video and speakers should beep very loud. When I did that the speakers just "pop" a short noise that you can barely hear.

Then on Windows the thing didn't worked either.

Like I said, after a long shutdown period the thing booted with speakers working. Most likely something disabled the speakers and it went back on post or something like that. I even tested using alternate boot (no minimal) and it didn't worked either, the only thing that fixed my issue was shutting down the computer all night.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 1st, 2018 06:00

The Advanced Diagnostics has one option of many to check the audio only.  When I first started the Diagnostics I do not remember seeing that Advanced option originally but there was an option to cancel the test which may have led to the page with individual tests.

I will try to check later so I can be more specific.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 1st, 2018 06:00

@godlikest"But I noticed that you can test the speakers in the new diagnostic tool, just fool it by click "no" after the thing ask you if you saw any video signal."

That's strange because the 'old" pre-boot diagnostic was the PSA tests which did not have an audio test, so I instructed people to intentionally fail the color bar test in order to generate beeps.

The newer pre-boot diagnostic is the ePSA tests ("e" stands for extended) which have the Quick Audio Check test. I assumed that a recent model like yours would have the ePSA.

@godlikest"I read somewhere that you need to download the old diagnostic tool"

The PSA or the ePSA resides in the BIOS memory on the motherboard -- it is part of the BIOS and not separately downloadable. I think you might have been reading about the very old Dell 32-bit Diagnostics which can reside on a hard drive partition, or on a bootable flash drive or cd/dvd. It has a suite of audio tests that are far superior to the ePSA's Quick Audio Check, but unfortunately it doesn't work with modern Dell laptops.

@Saltgrass"I don't know if Jim has an idea, but perhaps running the diagnostic helped repair the situation."

I don't understand why there was no Quick Audio Check. An XPS 9360 has the ePSA tests, right, and not the PSA tests?

Without knowing more about the testing I would tend to suspect a faulty audio jack if the problem recurs.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 1st, 2018 18:00

You can cancel out of the diagnostics and have an option to click on the advanced options, which appears to be greyed out.  This is for the 9365 which should be close to the 9360.

Photo deleted .. just wanted to check if the site had been fixed..  so many problems with it...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 04:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

You can cancel out of the diagnostics and have an option to click on the advanced options, which appears to be greyed out.  This is for the 9365 which should be close to the 9360.

IMG_0480.JPG

Is "the diagnostics" the ePSA with the Quick Audio Check? I can't see your image, just a pink triangle enclosed in a square.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 15:00

I can confirm that my ePSA had the test speaker option under "Advanced". It is a big icon, on the left section where two columns group different kinds of test that you can run. You can't miss it. The speaker test plays 6 different sound tones.

Hope it helps.
No Events found!