Start a Conversation

Unsolved

FM

3 Posts

September 9th, 2020 16:00

Is any possibility to stop charging the laptop through the monitor USB-C cable?

Hi All,

I bought my first New Dell XPS 15 couples months ago, I recently purchased an ultra-wide monitor and I connected to my laptop through the USB-C cable, when I try to connect the monitor to the laptop I'm getting the notice " Slow USB charger connected"

I knew my laptop needs 130W power to charge the battery and right now not Dell and not other brands of the have this kind of power on USB-C port.

could anybody help me to find out any solution to stop getting a charge from the monitor and just use the original charger power for the laptop?

I search a lot and couldn't find any answer and I believe this issue might happen for any of us.

Thanks in advance.
Faraz.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 9th, 2020 17:00

@Faraz.m  Unless your display allows you to disable Power Delivery (may want to look into that), I don't know of a way to disable USB-C charging from slow chargers.  Have you tried connecting the 130W power adapter FIRST?  In that case the system might ignore the USB PD capability of the display.

Note however that using a power source less than 130W might cause more side effects than just reduced battery charging speed.  It can also cause the system to throttle CPU and GPU performance, so it really isn't a great idea to rely on an undersized power source as a primary solution.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 9th, 2020 23:00

@Faraz.m  In that case, go into your BIOS, find the Battery Configuration section, select Custom, and set maximum and minimum charge levels.  For example, I have my maximum set to 80% and my minimum set to 50%.  In that configuration, my battery stops charging at 80% rather than 100%.  But the minimum charge level means that the system won't charge the battery AGAIN until it drops to 50%.  If the battery level is above 50% and the system is connected to power, the system will NOT charge it up, or even maintain its current level, but it also won't actively drain it.  Instead, the battery will be essentially be completely idle and will therefore be allowed to "self-discharge" down to the minimum charge level.  If you never actually use your system on battery power during that time, self-charging from 80% down to 50% can take MANY days.  But if you frequently use your laptop while connected to power, this configuration means that your battery spends the vast majority of its time completely idle -- not being charged, or topped up, or actively drained.  That is the best possible setup for battery longevity.  It's even better than being able to disable USB PD from your display, because that would mean your system would run on battery unnecessarily.  Running on wall power while keeping the battery idle is a much better solution.

The downside to this solution of course is that if you ever need to disconnect from wall power unexpectedly, you might only have a 50% charge available even if you had been connected to wall power for hours.  One way to mitigate this is to install Dell Power Manager.  In that case, you can use that Windows application to temporarily set your battery to a normal charging configuration.  That way if you know a little bit in advance that you'll need to run on battery power and want to make sure you have a full charge, you can achieve that.  And then you'd set your Custom configuration back later.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2020 23:00

@jphughan thanks for replying to me back. Unferunetly my monitor doesn't give me any option to disable the power source on USB-C connector. My monitor model is a Samsung CH890 Series.

You're right whenever I tried to connect the original charger to a laptop, it switches to 130W and ignores 65W power from the monitor but the problem is I don't want to connect the charger all the time to my laptop. I want to control my laptop's battery charge cycle count for having more battery lifetime.

Anyway, Thanks a lot, Please let me know if you have any other idea to try.

Faraz

3 Posts

September 11th, 2020 12:00

like your recommendation, I changed my power setting to Custom mode but the battery still doesn't work as it supposed to.
To make sure we are on the same page, please let me know if below is correct:
If the battery setting is set on %50 minimum and %80 maximum and laptop is connected to power, battery will stop charging after reaching to %80 and disconnected the battery and will work with direct power? and until the battery is drained to %50 it will not start re-charging again?

Or other words, charging will be disconnected and remain on %80 when the laptop is connected to power?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 20th, 2020 16:00

@Faraz.m  If you have 50% minimum and 80% maximum, then when you are connected to power, the system will charge the battery to 80%, but it won't exactly remain at 80%.  The system will not actually DRAIN the battery in order to run, since it will use wall power to run itself, but the system will not keep the battery topped up at 80% either.  Instead, it will allow the battery to idle and therefore it will "self-discharge" down to 50%.  If you never actually use your system on battery power during that time, then self-discharging from 80% all the way down to 50% can take MANY days.  If you disconnect from wall power and run the battery down to 60% and then reconnect, the system will not charge the battery because you have not reached the minimum charge level yet.

14 Posts

June 2nd, 2021 02:00

Hi there, 

I am using Dell Power Manager, as I'd like to preserve ma battery life. I am plugged into my monitor over usb-c. 

However, even when I reach the upper "stop charging" limit (80% in my case), my battery continue to charge up to 100% rather than to switch to idle. 

Did I configure my custom settings wrongly? 

YassineS_0-1622624720161.png

Cheers, 

Yassine 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 2nd, 2021 09:00

@YassineS  The settings look correct, but I remember a situation a while ago where the settings in Dell Power Manager were not correctly stored in the BIOS, which caused them not to work as they should.  Try going into your actual BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during startup and configuring your max charge setting there.  If it already looks correct there, change it to something else and then change it back to what you want, just to force the settings to update.  That might cause the system to start working as expected.

14 Posts

June 3rd, 2021 03:00

Hi @jphughan, indeed, this solved the issue. Cheers, Yassine

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 3rd, 2021 05:00

@YassineS  Excellent, glad I could help!

December 21st, 2022 16:00

I had setup a Dell monitor for one of my professors. While doing so, it asked if to always charge the source on usb-c. So, I suggest you to try restoring factory settings and set up the monitor again. While doing so you might see this option which you can opt out of.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2023 02:00

i still need help here. i cannot find the option in BIOS that i was told to check, so this is not closed yet

No Events found!