Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2018 14:00

Is this a swollen battery?

I've got an XPS 9530 from 2015 and I'm worried that its battery might be swollen. The front of the case to the right of the trackpad is raised and pops back up if I squash it together. The screw underneath that area is missing, but I'm not sure if the case pops up because of the missing screw, or if the screw is missing because of a swollen battery. It is difficult to right click, which I've read is another warning sign of battery problems.

To complicate matters I usually live in the UK but I am currently in Toronto, due to fly back to the UK on Friday afternoon.

dell laptop case.jpg

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

April 4th, 2018 15:00

I can almost guarantee you'l find a swollen battery - which will need to be replaced before you attempt to fly with the system (they will almost certainly not let you board a plane with a system having an expired lithium ion battery in it).

Remove the base cover to check (torx screwdriver required).

April 4th, 2018 19:00

If I take the back off, will Dell refuse to look at it when I get home? If it is a swollen battery and I leave it in Toronto, will I be able to get the laptop working again when I get back to the UK?

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

April 5th, 2018 03:00

The system is no doubt out of warranty -- so that's a moot point.  Get the battery out of the system - it's not only a safety issue, but the swollen batter will eventually destroy the system, turning a $150 battery replacement in to a very expensive chassis and/or mainboard replacement.

If you're leaving it behind, remove the battery from the system first -- and dispose of the worn out battery.

489 Posts

April 5th, 2018 05:00

It is a safety issue, a few events of explosions of similar batteries are known, although I'm not aware of any in Dell XPS. 

Discharge the battery slowly (laptop idling), then remove it, very carefully. A puncture of the battery foil may let out toxic fumes and possibly start a fire. The laptop should probably work off AC power without the battery. 

3 Posts

September 21st, 2018 03:00

yes it is, we have 3 Dell m3800 of 10 with swollen batteries and laptops is just 1 month out of warranty. They should do a recall before it explodes and injures someone, but dell care just about the $$$. This is not the way the battery should die.

Dell wake up! 

1 Message

October 11th, 2018 12:00

i have the same issue so far 7 of my 13 m3800s have swollen batteries. 5 popped up within 30 days of the warranty expiring.  there should be a recall.

No Events found!