Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 2nd, 2018 03:00

LAPTOP FAN CONTROL

There NEEDS to be a utility or BIOS update to ALLOW Fan control on Dell xps 15, at the very least to Allow it to go into high performance fan speeds EARLIER. Can be a simple control utilizing Dell approved specs. 

I specifically need to increase my fan speed EARLIER (not exceeding dell specs) so that the computer will stay cool. My laptop is getting too hot, it is absolute NONSENSE to restrict this ability. It waits too long to cool down, Or doesn't even go into full fan speed!! You are shooting yourself in the foot Dell. Allow us to keep our laptops cool. Otherwise you will be replacing more units.

Please have one of your software engineers create a bios update that allows this ability immediately, within one week.

Again - WITH DELL APPROVED SPECS, so the fan speeds wont be overclocked or underclocked. Just an allowance on choosing the parameter. The motherboard control of fan speed is TOO CLUNKY and is making computers too hot. This will result in broken machines. 

This will ONLY be useful for your company AND your community.

I know some people complain of noisy fans etc, this is not the same thing. My fans are nice and quiet. TOO quiet, when they should be working. I've heard the fans at full speed and they should be there more often when it is required.

489 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 01:00

I recall Dell Command | Power Manager has an additional max performance power profile with raised fan rpms. 

But if you're having problems with high CPU and/or GPU temperatures it is more likely that you have a problem with bad thermal paste. 

If you are experiencing clock down throttling after a few minutes while the CPU & GPU temperatures are not near their respective limits, the typical XPS 15 issue is overheated VRM mosfets. Fans don't reach them, unfortunately. Is this fixed in the coming generation??? Check iunlock's mod - adds some internal fin surface and redirects some of the cooling air, but requires good tinkering experience.

Helpful video on Power Manager -

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

489 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 01:00

I recall Dell Command | Power Manager has an additional max performance power profile with raised fan rpms. 

But if you're having problems with high CPU and/or GPU temperatures it is more likely that you have a problem with bad thermal paste. 

If you are experiencing clock downthrottling after a few minutes while the CPU & GPU temperatures are not near their respective limits, the typical XPS 15 issue is overheated VRM mosfets. Fans don't reach them, unfortunately. Is this fixed in the coming generation??? Check iunlock's mod - adds some internal fin surface and redirects some of the cooling air, but requires good tinkering experience. 

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

Helpful video on Power Manager -

(edited)

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 07:00

I understand EXACTLY what you are asking for and agree!!  I've had my thermal paste removed and updated with Arctic Silver MX-4 and still have heat issues at times.... (I have a cooler pad fan Assembly under laptop and keep everything clean too)

The Dell Fan Controller (That I hear is not adjustable)  is simply not acting as quick as needed!!!  it errs on the side of slow, quiet fans, instead of proper thermal control...

It is a Shame that Dell listened to people about quiet fans early on....

I7 XPS 1702X with 3GB Nvidia M555.....

4 Posts

Dell Command Power Manager will not load on W7-64 not installed by Dell... I have Ultimate..

It aborts.....

DUMB!!

Like I said in other posts.... Dell should provide fan speed support it's own Fan Controller !!!!

4 Posts

Please post link where Dell Power Manager

Software may be downloaded...

Thank You

4 Posts

It not ALWAYS Heat Sink Compound clean and Re-Apply!!!    The Un-Adjustable Fan Controller chip does not always adjust fan speed correctly or sufficiently...

2 Posts

June 29th, 2018 21:00

Given Solution is best.

August 27th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

I just found a solution to control fan speeds of dell laptops. 

Please refer this link http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-how-to-control-fans-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/

I have a dell inspiron 5577 gaming and I am able to control both fan speeds after following the instructions in the website.

You just have to type a command in cmd -> download a software -> restart -> run the software downloaded.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

January 14th, 2019 02:00

Even with the update I'm still unable to access the fan settings in BIOS

14 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 16:00

you should be able to hit the windows key and start typing dell update. Dell update will automatically download the pwr manager updates.

1 Message

November 8th, 2019 16:00

I can confirm that your solution works for my Dell Precision 5520 laptop as of 2019!

Thank you Ande Yashwanth!

No Events found!