Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2018 07:00

Lack of disk space on RECOVERY (D)

I have a dell 13 XPS 2in1 model 9365. The latest Windows 10 update just installed and I'm now getting Out of space messages on Drive D; which I never set up. When I opened the drive and tried to make the hidden files visible, But the system says I don't have access rights. My system has a 256GB SSD. How can I resolve this and stop those annoying notifications. I don't remember setting up a recovery drive.

10 Posts

May 6th, 2018 06:00

I have found this solution on the Windows support site and it worked. For those of you that mentioned trying to use Diskpart you were right. Here is the information from the Window 10 support site that worked.

A lot of users are seeing this new drive, it is the recovery drive, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal: 

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator' 

Run this command and hit Enter 

diskpart 

Run this command and hit Enter 

list volume 

Note down the letter associated with that new drive 

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter) 

select volume X 

remove letter=X 

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2018 10:00

Use the freeware application Explorer++ and run it as an administrator.  That should allow you to browse the contents of that D drive.  Without knowing what's on there it's difficult to suggest fixes.  It could be the Windows Recovery partition, but that isn't assigned a drive letter by default.  The other possibility is a Dell factory image restore partition, but I thought they stopped putting those on the hard drive in favor of just offering a downloadable tool to create a recovery flash drive on demand.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 1st, 2018 15:00

After some installs, the EFI system partition is left with a drive letter. You could also use Disk Management to look at the partitions and see where the D is..

10 Posts

May 5th, 2018 11:00

No matter what I try I can see the folders on the D:/ drive but I can not see the files. Even when I tell the system to display hidden files

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2018 17:00

I have discovered, with the latest update, it appears the Recovery Tools are being moved to the Recovery Image partition.  The Recovery Tools partition is left empty.

To remove the drive letter use Diskpart.

1 Message

May 16th, 2018 04:00

Thank you!  Finally an easy way to fix this.

I had spent hours searching and looking at many bs fixes, where people are just trying to sell add-on disk maintenance programs, etc... this is obviously a common problem on Dell's with the latest updates; would have been nice if Dell put a bit of effort into a timely Support response to resolving this issue!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 16th, 2018 05:00

This isn't a Dell issue but I found on a system which had the extra drive letter, the attributes on that partition had been changed to allow the system to place a drive letter on it.

If other systems are doing the same thing, the letter may come back.  To check, use Diskpart to select the partition and run a Detail command on that partition.  If the attributes show 0x0000000000000001 then it needs to be reset to 0x8000000000000001.

1 Message

May 27th, 2018 16:00

I have had the letter return upon reboot following several attempts at removing the letter from the Partition.  Your post led me to look for the "attributes" suggested and did NOT find anything that looked like that.

Other posts in this discussion mentioned Volume vs Partition.  After selecting the disk and list "partition" vs list "Volume" shows a DIFFERNT number associated with the offending drive letter, in my case D:. It seems matter, at least in my case, to select "Volume" x and remove letter=?. 

So far, for ME, the letter has not returned after removing it from the "Volume" instead of the "Partition"

Fingers crossed!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 28th, 2018 18:00

@Fischnets wrote:

I have had the letter return upon reboot following several attempts at removing the letter from the Partition.  Your post led me to look for the "attributes" suggested and did NOT find anything that looked like that.

If you detail a UEFI partition, you will get a 16 digit number for the attributes.  The Legacy version is only two numbers.

If you shut the system down after removing the drive letter, it may stay gone but the x8000000000000001 should keep it from being reset, just as that partition was set up as originally.

The volume listing works if you do not select a specific drive.  If you list drives and then select a specific drive, the partition listing shows the exact partitions on that drive only.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2018 04:00

Thanks for this! It worked!!

June 28th, 2018 13:00

Thanks. Worked for me too.

1 Message

August 13th, 2018 03:00

Thank you so much for sharing this.  The issue has been driving me nuts for a few months now.  Have an awesome day!

October 30th, 2018 21:00

Maybe you can try a third party software to get back your data on D:/, this Recoverit can help to recover lost partition. You can have a try.

https://youtu.be/vxg5MkA5wOo

No Events found!