Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

11 Posts

June 25th, 2022 08:00

Laggy 4k Video (XPS 15 9520)

Just got a 9520 with the i7 and I have an issue that has shown up a couple times here with older generations, but nothing in fixes it. Youtube 4K and locally stored 4K H.265 video lags significantly, with tons of dropped frames.   I noticed that task manager shows the "Video Decode" and "Video Processing" taking nearly 100% on the Iris Xe (my wife's Yoga 9 with a U-series i7 and Iris Xe shows only <10% usage). I can get it to go away sometimes on restarts or reinstalling graphics drivers.

I also noticed in HWinfo (separate app for looking at hardware stats) that when this occurs, the iGPU seems to get stuck at 99MHz. When it doesn't happen, the iGPU scales between 100MHz and 800MHz.

All the latest drivers here. Killer priorization disabled. Feels like a software issue, but one that has persisted over multiple generations (I see people all the way back to 9560 with this issue)?  Maybe I have a bad CPU that is randomly locking the GPU clocks at 100MHz?

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 10:00

I think Netflix will automatically drop to lower res if it detects stuttering.  Try youtube or better yet if you take a 4K video with your phone and play back on your computer locally.

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 10:00

I had an open case, but the issue ended up getting resolved via all the troubleshooting I did here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/vkkkhu/xps_9520_with_laggy_4k_video/.  They did say that they would get their engineers on the issue, but not hopeful they have a fix - the last BIOS update just fixed some security vulnerabilities.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2022 12:00

Sorry, can you elaborate a bit more? which display driver did you re-install?

August 24th, 2022 01:00

Thanks. If I followed the Reddit thread correctly, your last steps were to install a couple of optional Windows updates and to change a Zoom setting. I don't have any optional updates showing, and I no longer load Zoom (it has occasional fights with the RealTek audio driver, and anyway the front camera is much better on my 4-year-old iPad). So I'm not clear on any steps that might have been causal in resolving.

August 26th, 2022 07:00

Goodness me, looks like Dell have been listening.

Released today:

Intel Iris Xe/UHD Graphics Driver

31.0.101.3301, A03

26 Aug 2022

- Fixed the issue where the 4K video lags after system is resumed from Sleep mode.

Hopefully this resolves.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2023 05:00

hi, yes i have found the solution.

it was the same with my laptop xps 15 9500. after a month of trying by dell support team , they couldnt solve the problem. 

the solution is to run the laptop in dual channel memory mode meaning u have to fill both the RAM slots.in my case it was only one 16gb ram. but after i installed the 16gb additional ram in 2nd slot. the lagging is completely gone and the laptop runs very smoothly.

February 21st, 2024 16:06

This issue was gone a while back but the recent bios update made it appear again... horrible screen tearing on the dell xps9520 rtx305ti, tried all drivers, clean install, nothing works... thanks Dell. PS also the mini jack out audio is atrocious... 

(edited)

No Events found!