Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 28th, 2022 14:00

Laptop has stopped - with error code

Hi,

I was 99% through with charging up a replacement battery for this laptop when it suddenly flashed up this blue-screen error message, it has done nothing else since.

Lap is an XPS L502X, 2.4Ghz.

Tried going into boot sequence/s but the blue message just keeps on happening.

The lap did not like the new battery, kept asking for F1, but after that, all was fine. Then it stopped.

Help please.

ThanksXPS-laptop-error-message-low.jpg

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 09:00

Interesting story with your laptop, if there are any further issues I'd like to know. If this post is solved though then definitely mark a solution

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 28th, 2022 14:00

The only discs that came with the lap were the Operating System & drivers cd's - there was no recovery disc, as such - I kept everything, including the paperwork.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 28th, 2022 16:00

F12 a few times at powerup -- run an extended diagnostic on the hard drive (or SSD, whichever it has).  Also run the extended test on the RAM as well.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 29th, 2022 13:00

1st resultXPS-diagnostic-test-1-low.jpg

457 Posts

September 30th, 2022 00:00

Does your system still fail to boot to Windows? It seems like your PC might not include a recovery partition/recovery tools. If it does, try the startup repair option. If you can make a Windows installer USB, you can use it to help perform recovery (try the startup repair option).

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 30th, 2022 04:00

From here straight back to blue error page.XPS-All-Tests-Passed-2-low.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 30th, 2022 04:00

Thanks, how do you try the startup repair option please?

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 30th, 2022 07:00

There is no boot to Windows, I have only the blue screen error message.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Don't count on the results of the short test -- run the full (surface) test of the drive.  If it's a large (1T or larger) drive, this will take several hours.

457 Posts

Do you know how to make a Windows installation USB? Basically, download the media creation tool (for Windows 10 or 11 whichever is on your laptop) then boot off the USB and select "repair my computer".

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 30th, 2022 09:00

I ran that test, it took all night - there were no fails reported.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

September 30th, 2022 10:00

That did it - I had the original disc which came with the laptop, I selected 'repair', it said Windows found start-up problems, then it corrected them.

It's Windows 7

Am now giving the new battery it's final charge. You have to charge & run down several times - I wonder if it was the run-down which was upsetting the laptop?

Equally, I was using an audio interface which works okay on my other Dells, but this pc complained that it wasn't signed, whatever that means?

Either novel introduction to the laptop could have upset it - or not - I may never know.

If all else fails, I buy a new laptop - but that seems an awful waste when this Windows 7 is still up and running: I am not using it for the Internet - I do know Windows 7 no longer has optimal security protection.

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 03:00

You're saying you were using Windows 7 on the laptop before it got the BSOD? That does not look like a Windows 7 BSOD screen to me.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

October 1st, 2022 06:00

The laptop was upgraded to 10 at the insistence of Microsoft several years ago. Windows 10 was incompatible with this XPS, I had to get Microsoft to send me a Windows 7 reinstallation disc. The lap is now running 7 again.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

October 1st, 2022 07:00

However, the current issue post-dates the 10 scenario by many years - it seemed to be the process of up & down-charging the new battery which upset the laptop - it did not like the laptop charging down to 0%. Also, it does not like the generic battery, I have to hit F1 when it boots with the battery on board. Apart from that, it is running fine now - the battery is fully charged, no need to run it down to zero any more.

No Events found!