Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

Looking for input regarding swollen battery (Dell XPS 15 9560 2017 model) 64-bit

Specs: IntelCore i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80Ghz, 1TB SSD, 2x8gbDDR4 RAM so 16gb RAM

TLDR: Have had a protruded mouse pad and dead swollen battery for well over a year, maybe almost 2 years with resource-heavy use on a daily basis with no issues (other than a burning smell noticed well over a year ago leading to non-stop recurring BSOD issue which I have since fixed.) No noticeable performance issues since. Spoke with Dell Support. 5XJ28 battery model not offered by Dell, and other options offered online with very mixed reviews. Wondering if it is worth it to buy a new battery and replace it, as I am not bothered by the mouse pad since I use a wireless mouse, and seems nothing internally was severely damaged.

Hi,

So I first noticed my mousepad raise probably over a year ago and did not even think about the possibility of it being caused by the swollen battery. I should have definitely looked into it more at the time. I have the orange flashing light and if I unplug my AC adapter my laptop shuts off (dead battery). There was a period where I would constantly get Blue Screen shutdowns, but I spent hours going through different solutions and managed to find a fix, and since have not had a crash in at least a year I would say. I did at one point notice a burning smell (before the constant BSOD), so I quickly turned it off, sprayed it with the laptop cooling spray, and let it sit for a while before attempting to use it again.  I have not opened my laptop yet to see if anything was seriously damaged internally, but besides the issues with BSOD following that, which I have since fixed, I have had no problems with the performance so I am assuming the motherboard, graphics card, and RAM are fine. Have run diagnostics, installed Core Temp to monitor my battery cell temperatures, and get notified if goes above a set temperature. 

I was completely unaware the protruded touchpad was the result of a swollen battery until my brother pointed it out to me recently. I then googled the issue and saw how common it was and that Dell supposedly offered free battery replacements regardless of whether the warranty had expired for models in which the battery swelling occurred. Also, read not to use any device with the issue, but I have been using it for some pretty resource-consuming tasks for the past year (video editing, rendering, music production with FL Studio, virtualization running several OS at the same time, and many other things) and have not noticed any issues or any more instances where I smelt something burning. I called Dell support after reading about the many cases and asked about the no warranty battery replacement, and was told my battery model is 5XJ28, and the support rep offered to transfer me to another support for this issue that would cost $60 or something just to talk to them about battery replacement (not for them to offer a replacement, but to walk me through how to replace the battery, which I declined because I know how to deal with hardware. Since there are no actual Dell replacements offered by Dell for the battery available, and, as far as I have seen, third-party sellers on Amazon, ComputerParts, NewEgg, etc. with some having very mixed reviews. I use a wireless mouse so the pad being protruded does not bother me much. I will most likely be buying a new laptop within the next year anyway, and am fine with using this as my "Desktop." Also since I have not noticed any glaringly obvious performance issues, all ports work, etc. It is fully updated and seems the only issue is the battery. Does not seem it poses a threat of exploding anymore, as long as I keep it on a hard surface. Have it connected to Dell P2720DC monitor and that has not brought upon any issues either (have also used it with Seiki 40" 4k monitor with no issues). Dual booted Ubunutu disk partition. Just do not want to buy a $200 battery if it is gonna die in 2 months or only last 45 minutes unplugged, when I really only use it as a desktop right now anyway. 

Any advice, people in similar situations, would be much appreciated

65 Posts

November 18th, 2020 15:00

They are relatively easy to change. I bought an OEM replacement for $65 for my XPS 9360. The site I ordered from seemed reputable and offers free replacements, so I didn't see the risk since this laptop is a spare. When I phoned Dell they refused to sell me the battery for "safety" and wanted $250 to change it themselves.

Found a video on Youtube and was shocked at just how easy it was to change - less than 10 minutes.

I had bulge in my keyboard causing it to look warped and my mousepad was also protruding. Once I changed the battery everything was as good as new. 

I would suggest that if you do remove it, dispost of it immediately though. From what I read, you don't want a battery fire. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 18th, 2020 15:00

If you have not removed the battery, you need to do that now.  It is a safety hazard.

Whether you choose to replace it or not, dispose of it.  You can run the system on AC only as a desktop, or replace the battery.

No one warrants a battery longer than a year, but you can find OEM Dell batteries new, with a 1-year warranty.  Your system takes either a 3- or 6-cell battery (if you have the former and want the latter, note that it means sacrificing the internal 2.5" drive bay).

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=930&refine=battery

2 Posts

November 26th, 2020 14:00

Yeah, I have ordered an electronic screwdriver set and will be removing the battery. Was curious if anyone had experience with the paid support phone call because from what I gathered, it is just directions on how to remove the battery safely which I know to drain the battery and not poke, prod, the battery when the laptop is opened. Plenty of videos and written tutorials on how to do so safely, and I have experience removing and adding hardware. Planned to take the battery out regardless. Better safe than sorry. Just mostly was seeing what kind of feedback people had on the battery replacement, but I think I will just continue using it as my desktop with it being plugged in at all times, and get another laptop for work on the go. Thanks for the input. 

No Events found!