Modern Standby for Dell XPS 13-9370

I have been using my new Dell XPS-13-9370 and one of the featured I did not expect until a friend showed me is its ability to go into and resume from "Modern Standby".  The sleep state in the older model was S3 but in this new model it is S0i3, which Microsoft refers to as Modern Standby and Intel calls S0 Low Power Idle.

So, with this feature enabled, I can wake the XPS 13 from Sleep by saying "Hey Cortana".  This even works with the lid down.

I think this is a great feature but I was surprised I did not know about it until after I purchased my laptop.

How do you know which Dell Laptops have support for Modern Standby and how do you know if it is connected or disconnected Standby ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jan.Bartos
6 Indium

Re: Modern Standby for Dell XPS 13-9370

Hi, I cannot provide general answer, but for Latitude family it seems that Modern Standby is supported up from certain model:

Latitude E6320, Latitude E7240, Latitude E7270 - Standby (S3), Hibernate, Hybrid Sleep, Fast Startup
Latitude 5285 - Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected, Hibernate, Fast Startup

As E7x80 is on the same "evolutionary level" as 5285, it may be the first model supporting Modern Standby in Latitude family.

Use powercfg -a to check whether notebook supports Modern Standby (connected/disconnected), .

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

This even works with the lid down. 

Problem is, it likely even works in your bag, and then the thing gets too hot. 

Also pay attention to how long the battery lasts while sleeping.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@Paul.Review.2020 wrote:

I think this is a great feature but I was surprised I did not know about it until after I purchased my laptop.

I have suggested to both Dell and Microsoft they should enclose some type of info about modern standby.  A link to a video would be great.  I have a video from Microsoft for the Surface Pro systems but it is older and not all info is still accurate.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

And one more thing.  I had noticed if a audio stream was taking place, probably for Cortana, the power drain would increase.  If you wanted to test for that you could disable the microphone which should stop the stream and the drain.

If you open an admin command prompt and type the command below, it should tell you if an audio stream is taking place.

powercfg /requests

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos

My apologies,

These were really two questions:

1. Doesn't Modern Standby also help with extending Battery Life ?

A lot of the comments seem to say the exact opposite (beware), even suggested it will come alive in my bag, but I thought it was intended to be, in part, a battery life extending feature

2. Since running on Battery is how I use my laptop, I wanted to know if the performance is different when on battery vs on AC ? All benchmarks for performance seem to be spec'ed on AC only.T\

Thanks again

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I don't see how your question is related to Modern Standby, so maybe someone who understands general laptop performance will chime in..

0 Kudos
tzimmer1
1 Copper

In regards to your question on how to determine if a system supports Modern Standby, we have seen that OEM websites and retail shops do not place Windows Sleep configuration (S3 or Modern Standby) information in their standard set of system information.   That needs to change now since each Sleep configuration work very differently.

0 Kudos