Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

November 26th, 2018 19:00

LG 29UM69G-B monitor, not charging XPS 13 9360

Hi guys,

I just bought a new monitor (LG 29UM69G-B). The monitor supports power delivery through a usb-c port with alternate DP on the back of the panel. However, the monitor is not charging my laptop at all. The laptop displays something along the lines of "charge using the original charger." 

Things I have tried:

Plugged a Macbook (Macbook Pro 2017) into the monitor: laptop charges!

Plugged my laptop (Dell XPS 13 9360 i7-8550u) into monitor: error notification and no charge

Plugged my laptop (Dell XPS 13 9360 i7-8550u) into Macbook Pro 2017 Thunderbolt charger: laptop charges

Plugged Pixel 2 XL into monitor: phone charges!

Plugged friend's laptop (Dell XPS 15 9360) into monitor: does not charge

Updated to latest BIOS

Any more suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 27th, 2018 09:00

What is the actual error that you get?  Also try going into the BIOS of the XPS system and selecting the Battery Information section in the left-hand column.  That area will display the detected wattage of any power source.  When you connect the display to the USB-C port, does it show as Unknown or does it not register at all?

In terms of other potential fixes, see if there's a firmware update for the display itself.  That's a thing nowadays.  You may as well also update the XPS 13's Thunderbolt 3 controller firmware.  That's not part of the BIOS update, although I admit that's a long shot since this is technically USB-PD, so I doubt the TB3 controller is involved.

If none of that fixes it, my only theory here other than some bug that only arises with this specific combination of devices even though each one works as expected with other devices is that the XPS 13 might not allow using the USB Power Delivery "profiles" offered by the display even if the MacBook does.  For example, 45W over USB-PD can be delivered as 20V at 2.25A or 15V at 3A, and not all devices that draw 45W will accept both.  Unfortunately although I know the XPS 13 draws 45W over USB-C, I don't know what profiles it allows, or for that matter what profiles that display offers.

No Events found!