Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 18:00

XPS 13-9370, mouse cursor lagging and stuttering

Having an issue with my new XPS 9370. Using the touchpad (haven't tried using a mouse with it at all), the mouse cursor sometimes stutters/freezes for a second then keeps going. Happens quite a lot actually. Sometimes it actually stutters multiple times in one swipe on the touchpad but other times it works fine..any ideas on what to do? I don't see any specific touchpad options in windows settings or anything either.. Thanks

81 Posts

March 5th, 2018 14:00

Potential solution (until Intel or Dell will officially solve this problem), but I need at least one more volunteer to verify that:

1. Right click on your Windows desktop and select Intel Graphics Settings (you can also run it from tray area if you did not disabled it from running at startup)
  2. Go to Power tab (second icon at the bottom right side)
  3. Disable "Panel Self-Refresh" option and hit Apply
  4. Shutdown your device (do not just restart since problem is more likely to happen on fresh start and you want to test that it's "fixed") and turn it on back again.

NOTE: If your freezing problem will occur once again, double check that "Panel self-refresh" is still disabled (I saw in some other threads that sometimes options in the Intel graphics settings Panel tends to revert back to defaults).

DRAWBACKS: Theoretically shorter up time when running on battery.

TESTED ON: XPS 13 9370, BIOS v1.2, i7, with non-touch FHD screen and latest (15.65.4.4944) drivers from Intel site.

intel-graphics-settings.jpg

10 Posts

January 16th, 2019 17:00

I have good news for some of you hopefully! My solution!!!!

I had the same problem, mouse would get stuck and freeze and my keyboard would also get stuck and freeze and either skip words or make them like "thissssssss".

However this problem only occurred when programs were accessing the hard drive. For example when I tried searching for a file on my external hard drive, my mouse would freeze and my keyboard would freeze. WhenI plugged in my usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter my computer was almost unusable! Basically any peripheral usb devices that made the hard drive work, would freeze my mouse and keyboard.

Then I ran the dell diagnostic program on their support website for my computer (xps 15, 9570). During the random seek and funnel seek etc I would get the mouse lag and keyboard lag / skipped keys or extra keys. I also tried the intel graphics disable panel refresh and nothing happened. At this point was I basically **bleep**... I updated all drivers and went to bios 1.7.0... I also have windows 10 1809 October update. I also ran malewarebytes. 

I then called Dell tech support and they provided a solution that I was not sure would work. I went into bios setup (F2 on boot), selected performance, went to C-STATE CONTROL and unchecked it. I then restarted my computer and its working flawless now! its been about 8 hours and no problems yet, this is with restarts and stress tests. No problem yet. C-STATE apparently makes the CPU or usb ports sleep to save energy!!! Pretty dumb! So after disabling that I get no mouse lag or keyboard lag with my ethernet adapter and external hard drive! Smooth as can be so far!

I will keep you guys updated!

Thank you,

Pete

January 31st, 2018 22:00

No ideas anyone?

81 Posts

February 1st, 2018 07:00

Got the same issue. Is probably not "mouse cursor problem" but something with CPU power/frequency management - whole system freezes for 1-10s (then is OK for a few secs and freezes again, and cycle repeats; sometimes come back to normal, but not always). It mostly follows more CPU intensive operation when processor drops back to low frequency (bellow 1Ghz - I suppose it drops too low and that might cause problems).

NOTE #1: it is not correlated with CPU/GPU temp or current processor utilisation (it happens with 30-40C temp, less < 10% load; even when displaying only Windows desktop without any particular app running in the background).

NOTE #2: Changing Dell Power Manager thermal scenario or Windows Power Management scheme will not help.

NOTE #3: Running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility monitor and looking at chart its produces does not indicate issues with: thermal or power throttling at the moment when issue occurs

NOTE #4: No Microsoft Windows system logs provide any hint to source of problem. All available updates (Microsoft & Dell Updater) are applied.

NOTE #5: It happens both on battery an AC, with Wi-Fi on/off.

NOTE #6: Dell Diagnostics (F12 @ Boot time -> Diagnostics) with an extra Memory Test says that "All Test Passed"

🖳 DEVICE: XPS 13 9370 / 16GB RAM / 512 SSD / FullHD non-touch display / Killer Wi-Fi / BIOS: 1.0.2

12 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 09:00

I've got a similar issue but only when using a Bluetooth mouse. Try using a mouse (BT or wifi) and see if it changes anything.

81 Posts

February 11th, 2018 15:00

@austinramsayDoes this issue is still happening to your XPS? Have you found any solution? Is only cursor is lagging or whole system freezes for seconds in your case?

February 17th, 2018 13:00

Exactly the same issue here. Any solutions found? I am unable to reproduce the freezing. After a reboot it often disappears but it happened now already 2 or 3 times and I have just received the notebook 2 days ago.

February 20th, 2018 00:00

Hi, great post!

I've the exact same problem, (have the 1TB 4k 9370) so I'm a bit disappointed with dell

I've read some other threads where the previous model had similar issues that were related to
- The Intel Video driver (I've tried that and it didn't work the problem persists)
- The SSD driver (I've not tried that yet...)
- There was no new BIOS available

I've you guys have any ideas that would be great, I am reluctant to send the unit back because when it works it works like a dream, however the interruptions are very annoying.

I hope its not a hardware problem

6 Posts

February 21st, 2018 00:00

Also having same problem...
Hope it will be fix soon

81 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 03:00

New Dell BIOS is available for download: try it to check that issue is still present.

From my research problem was caused by Intel's graphic driver. Temporary switching to default Microsoft one (crappy performance, no option to alter the brightness, higher power consumption) prevented from happening. Now I'm testing new BIOS with latest drivers from Intel's website - hope the problem is resolved.

February 22nd, 2018 03:00

Do you mean BIOS 1.2.0? In my case updating didn't help ... unfortunately. Greetings

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 22:00

if you mean 1.2.0, i still get same problem, even with reinstall intel driver

February 23rd, 2018 10:00

Hi guys,

I can also confirm that even with 1.2.0 and the Intel video driver I still get frequent freezes.

Hope that dell can fix this, otherwise ill be returning the XPS 13.

6 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 19:00

no matter enable or disable Virtualization and VT-d, still cause problems :( failed

81 Posts

February 24th, 2018 09:00

@Arusu wrote:

if you mean 1.2.0, i still get same problem, even with reinstall intel driver

Yes, I meant BIOS 1.2 (it's dated to 18/02/2018, but in my Support Assist appeared 22/02). It looks that Dells deploy updates region by region not everywhere at the same time. For 4 hours of laptop usage after update I didn't encounter this any freezing/lagging so thought that new BIOS has made a difference.  But in the end - when I booted up the device later on the issue came back. Sorry for "false alarm" :)

@Arusu wrote:

no matter enable or disable Virtualization and VT-d, still cause problems :( failed

I've checked. The problem still remains after turning virtualization feature off.

No Events found!