Kingwoods
1 Copper

My Dell XPS 13 black screen and the backlight doesn't work

There was nothing wrong with my laptop before this incident it was working perfectly fine 10 minutes ago but when I opened it again, the screen was black. I followed the procedure by taking out the battery connector and draining all the electricity. But there was still no fix to it, then I did the fn diagnostic and I couldn't see anything. Although I can see the screen very dimly if I shine a flash at the screen. What should I do now? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: My Dell XPS 13 black screen and the backlight doesn't wo

Hi Kingwoods,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you tried using an external monitor?  This would check to see if the GPU has failed or if the LCD has failed.  If you are able to get an image on the external monitor, please run the diagnostics again, make a note of any error messages encountered, and post back.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on Dell Laptop LCD Panel

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
hsun0120
1 Copper

The same problem with my 9370, but my system did not go to sleep and the screen suddenly turned off.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi hsun0120,

Were you able to try any of the above suggestions?

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos