Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CD

6 Posts

June 30th, 2020 22:00

XPS 13 (9300), issues, refund rejected

PhotoGrid_1593582231914.jpg20200610_160905.jpg

How many technicians does it take to fix Dell XPS 13 (9300)?

Apparently 4 is not enough.

The laptop arrived on 13 May 2020. Within less than a few days of use, the laptop presented the following issues: screen distortion, screen hanging and the screen turns fuzzy.

From 21 May to 11 June, I engaged their technicians 3 times to fix the laptop: 21 May (1h 12 min; update driver), 1 June (56 min; update BIOS system) and 11 June (2h 20 min; update to Windows 10). During this period, I experienced additional problems such as headphone jack does not work, print screen key does not work, Windows Search function disabled, screen flickers and glitches.

After engaging the third technician (after 11 June), the screen still gets distorted, hangs and flickers. In addition, the laptop logs me out of Zoom calls.

Called Dell on 17 June to get a refund. They offered product replacement. So I proposed 2 conditions:

1) Whether they can guarantee that they can give me a functioning laptop (meaning with working hardware, updated software and the laptop is working). But the technician said they can't guarantee that. He said I can call them up when the new laptop arrives to help me update all the software. During the 3 times I called the technicians, they took 4h 28min to update 3 software. So how many hours of calls do I have to go through again??

2) To pass me the new laptop on the same day they take the old laptop. However, they told me they cannot fulfill this. They can't guarantee the number of days I have to wait. This means that I have to wait for a few days to weeks and even longer (Covid can potentially delay shipment). I can't wait this long because this is the only laptop that I have and I have to use it for online lessons and to complete assignments.

So I can't go ahead with product replacement.

Refund was rejected on 18 June because they claim that the laptop has software issues and not hardware issues. 

Another technician called me on 18 June to come down to my house to fix my laptop on 19 June. Confirmation email was sent on 18 June. On 19 June, I waited till 4pm+ but technician did not arrive. When I checked my email they sent a delay in repair email at about 9am+. But shouldn't they at least give me a call to let me know that they are unable to come down.

Called Dell up after I saw the email. They say that the technician is unable to come because some hardware parts have not arrived. Now they are ordering hardware parts hmmmm something smells fishy...🧐

On 29 June, a technician from Dell called me to ask whether he can come down on that day itself to repair the laptop. I asked him why they didn't contact me on 19 June to let me know their technician can't come down. He claim that they have been given the wrong number and couldn't contact me for the past week.

On 30 June, the 4th technician arrived and he ascertain that there is issue with my motherboard (hardware part) and needed to replace it. 

Even after changing the motherboard I still face the problem of the screen blacking out for 1s each time and it happens randomly. Called them up again for refund but they are still giving me a difficult time.

Extremely disappointed in Dell. At this point, I'm really exhausted. How can such an established company play customers dirty like that? They have been such a bully.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 30th, 2020 22:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

July 1st, 2020 00:00

Made a mistake in laptop arrival date. The laptop arrived on 19 May 2020 not 13 May 2020.

July 1st, 2020 00:00

Wow it sounds like you had a really bad experience. Will not be purchasing any of their products. 

1 Message

July 3rd, 2020 01:00

Sounds horrible, will definitely reconsider if I were to purchase a Dell laptop in the future 

73 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 21:00

Hi, 

I hope it'll work out okay for you. I am in a similar situation and know the efforts it takes and the frustration. DELL customer service is sub zero. 

• First xps 9300 delivered mid April, would shut down by itself every 3 minutes 
  • Main board swap after a few days (quite fast) 
  • New (?) main board had no Bluetooth and Audio issues 
  • 3 weeks later (mid May) I received a swap unit
  • Swap unit had dead pixels but decided to keep it as I badly needed it 
  • End of May, during charging (laptop off) I get funny blinking led
  • USB c port used for charging is ko and keyboard controller has issues 

Since end of May I'm fighting with Dell. Despite pro support they refused refund and refused replacement. Only option is repair but spare parts won't arrive before end of July (2 months). 

In the meantime they don't care the slightest besides saying that they are sorry and understand my frustration. 

No effort, no solution, no compensation, nothing. They just leave you there with 2k€ worth of electronic garbage. 

As this is a productivity device I had to purchase another laptop (from another brand)

July 4th, 2020 00:00

Omg this is terrible! 

Hope your issues will be resolved soon. 

After the 4th technician came to replace the motherboard. I still face screen distortion issue and audio issue. Wrote in to Dell but they did not reply at all. 

Their customer service is really horrible.

73 Posts

July 4th, 2020 01:00

The only way I have found to get them to react is leaving public replies or messages on Twitter, including Michel Dell Twitter account. Keep posting follow up in public until you start getting a real exchange through DM / PM. If they go back to trivial answers, go back to public. It's very frustrating but the only way to get them to reply at least. 

Doesn't mean that things move fast, see my 2 months delay for spares and nothing to help me out in the meantime. 

July 12th, 2020 09:00

Thanks for sharing this! Sounds like you have a terrible experience This just goes to show how terrible they are with their customer service. Hope your problems will be resolved soon!

July 12th, 2020 13:00

YO THIS IS  @Chuber Dawn 

I had the SAME screen gitching issues AND MORE. While I was on a Zoom call for an interview TWO TIMES, the screen freaked out just like yours. I didn't have a technician come to fix my laptop in person, but they attempt to see what was up via phone and remote control, but all they did was update the drivers. 

My in-depth, heated review can be found here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-13-9300-First-Week-of-Use-Audio-Resolved-Now-SCREEN/m-p/7635807

I'm interested in knowing what laptop you'll be buying to replace your dell xps 13.

73 Posts

July 12th, 2020 21:00

@Chuber Dawn Hi, can't say my experience is the best Indeed to put it mildly. After a lot of forth and back (showing Dell has no clear vision on parts availability either) I finally had a Tec on-site last Wednesday to replace main board and screen resulting in the laptop no longer powering on at all. Completely dead. Further to this they wanted to program another on-site repair to replace the fan and the SSD. Had to battle to make them admit or understand that a broken fan or SSD wouldn't prevent a laptop from showing at least some signs of life. As they don't agree to anything else (replacement or refund) I had to agree to have it picked up today for a repair in a service center. Delay will depend on availability of the parts but likely a couple of weeks.

So to summarize : since 3 months I had 1 replacement device, 2 main board repairs, 1 display repair and now pickup for a repair in a service center. Was able to use the XPS not even 2 weeks during those 3 months.

@browneyedblues I got a HP Spectre x360 13 inch 2 in 1 to replace my Dell. Overall a nice device (and working). 2 concerns : keyboard "feeling" is good in my eyes but layout is really bad, especially on the right side. Small enter key and an additional "column" of page up/down home keys to the very right. Needs time to get used to. Also even though I am very careful I have 2 spots on the screen where the coating is slightly coming off after 1 month only. Contact between screen and chassis/keyboard when closed? Otherwise very nice with a beautiful 4k OLED Display.

18 Posts

July 13th, 2020 20:00

I had the new replaced machine and the only problem is the 3mm jack issue. The other problems are all gone (using it for few days already). Suggest you call the hotline and ask for return the faulty machine. 

Poor quality Dell. 

73 Posts

July 13th, 2020 21:00

@Siutin Hi, i can only speak for my case but they refused to replace the device or refund it. Why? My first XPS was dead on arrival and they agreed to replace it. Now the replacement XPS took 3 weeks to arrive. As for all claims they refer to the initial delivery date, by the time I got the replacement machine the "swap" period was over. Must be something within the first 14 days or so. I must have over 100 message exchanges with the ProSupport and reading through them you clearly understand that, actually they don't care the slightest about your problems. They're paid to reply to customers, not to satisfy them. I've bought a device for over 2k€ to be able to get my work done and can't use it since the beginning over 3 months ago. For every decent and concerned customer service that should ring a bell. Dell : no. Dell is sorry but due to logistics problems I have to wait 2 months until they get the parts. It's so frustrating.

18 Posts

July 14th, 2020 18:00

@LuMe96so sorry to hear your experiences and yes, i agree that it is a horrible experiences to buy Dell computer. I will not buy any Dell product again even though the replacement machine is working fine with only 1 outstanding issue. The helpdesk and customer service are horrible. 

73 Posts

August 8th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

Honesty I am not sure.

Twitter gets their attention but that doesn't last long either. I exchanged mostly through Direct / Private message on Twitter but I guess that it's the same team as here in the forum.

On twitter they answer quite fast but the quality of the answers is not always the best and you change support people without knowing and have to start over and over again with the basics.

Very frustrating. In the end it looked like I had one person following my case which made things a little easier.

1 Message

December 1st, 2020 02:00

Oh wow. I've been going through the same experience this year. I also got the xps 13 9300 laptop and it was having the same flickering and battery charging problem). How they handle things is so frustrating and they don't give a shxx about customers. I'm surprised of all good reviews of this laptop. They must spene more money on hiring reviewers than improving customer service.

No Events found!