Highlighted
rkissinger
1 Nickel

New Dell KM717 is always freezing while typing or using the mouse

Hello

Our company bought some Dell XPS 15 with DELL KM717 keyboard/mouse systems and while using them - no matter if you connect them via Bluetooth or via USB - from time to time the mouse just freezes or the keyboard is freezing and you cannot continue to type for multiple seconds... 
After those seconds are past you can just continue to type as usual or use the mouse as usual.

We have seen this behavior with different KM717 keyboards and mouse systems - so either we just got unlucky and have like four broken ones or there must be an issue with this DELL equipment! 

Does anybody else has experienced  such an issue? Thank you.

Tags (3)
15 Replies
keyboardissues
1 Copper

Re: New Dell KM717 is always freezing while typing or using the mouse

Hello. I have this issue too. It is worse with the keyboard than the mouse.

I have noticed that when I experience this issue, the num lock indicator on the keyboard turns off. Makes me think the problem is the keyboard sporadically losing power.

Have you found a solution? 

0 Kudos
rkissinger
1 Nickel

Hello,

indeed we did not find a solution for this problem yet! Which is really annoying since we just bought this devices and they were quiet expensive. 

0 Kudos
keyboardissues
1 Copper

I believe I have identified the problem. The Dell universal receiver has very short range, about three feet. I previously had it plugged into a USB port at the back of my PC. I have moved it to a front USB port (closer to keyboard and mouse) and I have not experienced any mouse skipping or keyboard freezing since making this change. 

It is unfortunate the range of the receiver is so short. but this has solved my problem. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Erik Lenaerts
1 Copper

I have the same problem with KM717 keyboard and mouse.

The problem is indeed the very short (extremely short!) range of the receiver.

When i hold the keyboard at a distance of +- 50 cm or less it works perfect. When i hold it further, it immediately strats to freez. The further, the bigger de freezing problem.

0 Kudos
saraksa
1 Copper

Guys,

I am planning to buy a mobile from fekman.com

Could you help me to shoose between Galaxy Note 8 Gold & Iphone 8 Gold

Below is the hyperlink www.fekman.com

Thanks

0 Kudos
rkissinger
1 Nickel

Ok well that is not the same with us/the root cause for us but happy to hear that also other customers have problem with that VERY EXPENSIVE keyboard / mouse set....

0 Kudos
Solipsist
1 Copper

Re: New Dell KM717 is always freezing while typing or using

I have the same problem with the Premier Wireless Mouse KM717 connected to a Dell XPS 13 laptop via bluetooth.
Every hour or so, the mouse will freeze for several seconds. This sort of interruption to your work is quite frustrating and pretty much makes the mouse unfit for purpose.

Has anyone had any luck returning this keyboard and mouse and managed to get a replacement that works? 

0 Kudos
NotMoosetracks
1 Copper

Hello! Jump to the bottom if you want to see what is working for me but here's my (short) story...

Bought Dell XPS 8930 December 2017 with KM717 mouse and keyboard. Noticed problem with mouse freezing right off the bat. Did some updates, trouble-shooting, moving the universal receiver around, blah blah. The problem was intermittent (not even once a day or so) and did not affect the keyboard. Because of a medical issue I could not pursue as diligently as I ordinarily would have done.

But I finally was thoroughly disgusted and got around to filing a Tech Support Request in February 2018.

So THAT wasted a bunch of time (including Dell sending me a wired mouse/keyboard "by accident" and then sending me a new KM717 kit. Same problem. Mouse only, not keyboard. Without rhyme nor reason, the mouse would freeze. Interestingly, it seems that the mouse always stops in the upper left quadrant of my screen (Dell UltraSharp 24 InfinityEdge Monitor - U2417H). Could be a coincidence and I can't replicate it so...whatever.

Here's what works for me. I turn the mouse off and right back on again and I'm in business. Painless, fast. I  h o p e this is my permanent solution and maybe it will work for you.

--Steve--

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
charlesrg
1 Copper

Same problem here with keyboard and mouse. The mouse range is so bad it's not usable, and it eats the battery so fast. The keyboard range is also bad, if I put my phone in between the keyboard and the PC it adds even more trouble.
0 Kudos