XPS

Last reply by 08-26-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

New OEM Battery for Dell XPS 13 (9350) - Does it need Calibration?

Hi Guys,

I need some expertise and suggestion about the newly installed battery in my Dell XPS 13 9350.

I bought this battery through parts-people.com which sells OEM Dell batteries. Price is quite expensive but worth it since it was working fine and no issues, and was just plug & play.

My previous 5-year old battery can only hold a charge for more than 1 hour and bloated my touchpad and keyboard so I have to replace it.

With the new battery, I did a battery report and it shows the same design capacity as my old original battery before. But the full charge capacity only shows 4.88% less than its design capacity.

So the actual full capacity of the battery is only 95.12%.

New Battery Report.JPG

Is this normal for a new battery? Do i need it make the full capacity the same as its design capacity? Does battery calibration required?

Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Just use it normally - after a few charge-discharge cycles, it will show its maximum capacity.

If you're using the system plugged in all the time, set the battery manager to charge it to about 70% and then cease.  The last thing you want with a Li poly battery is to have it charging to 100% all the time.

View solution in original post

Replies (6)
8 Xenon

It does not need calibration, but will need a few discharge-charge cycles to reach maximum capacity.

Do i need to do something for this new battery to be accurate? Please advise.

Just use it normally - after a few charge-discharge cycles, it will show its maximum capacity.

If you're using the system plugged in all the time, set the battery manager to charge it to about 70% and then cease.  The last thing you want with a Li poly battery is to have it charging to 100% all the time.

What do you mean cease at 70% and leave charging 100%? Sounds a bit confusing.

One of the worst things to do with a Li poly battery is keep it charged at 100% and plugged into AC all the time. 

If you're going to run on AC power most of the time, set the Dell battery manager to stop charging at about 70% and leave it there.  

Keeping a battery on AC at full charge all the time is a sure way to shorten its lifespan.

Hi.

Thanks for this info.

how about a battery level of 20%, plugged in AC while using the laptop at the same time. Is it good for the battery?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor