Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2020 05:00

New OEM Battery for Dell XPS 13 (9350) - Does it need Calibration?

Hi Guys,

I need some expertise and suggestion about the newly installed battery in my Dell XPS 13 9350.

I bought this battery through parts-people.com which sells OEM Dell batteries. Price is quite expensive but worth it since it was working fine and no issues, and was just plug & play.

My previous 5-year old battery can only hold a charge for more than 1 hour and bloated my touchpad and keyboard so I have to replace it.

With the new battery, I did a battery report and it shows the same design capacity as my old original battery before. But the full charge capacity only shows 4.88% less than its design capacity.

So the actual full capacity of the battery is only 95.12%.

New Battery Report.JPG

Is this normal for a new battery? Do i need it make the full capacity the same as its design capacity? Does battery calibration required?

Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 26th, 2020 06:00

Just use it normally - after a few charge-discharge cycles, it will show its maximum capacity.

If you're using the system plugged in all the time, set the battery manager to charge it to about 70% and then cease.  The last thing you want with a Li poly battery is to have it charging to 100% all the time.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 26th, 2020 05:00

It does not need calibration, but will need a few discharge-charge cycles to reach maximum capacity.

34 Posts

August 26th, 2020 06:00

Do i need to do something for this new battery to be accurate? Please advise.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 26th, 2020 07:00

One of the worst things to do with a Li poly battery is keep it charged at 100% and plugged into AC all the time. 

If you're going to run on AC power most of the time, set the Dell battery manager to stop charging at about 70% and leave it there.  

Keeping a battery on AC at full charge all the time is a sure way to shorten its lifespan.

34 Posts

August 26th, 2020 07:00

What do you mean cease at 70% and leave charging 100%? Sounds a bit confusing.

34 Posts

August 26th, 2020 19:00

Hi.

Thanks for this info.

how about a battery level of 20%, plugged in AC while using the laptop at the same time. Is it good for the battery?

No Events found!