Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BS

2 Posts

May 26th, 2020 15:00

New XPS 15 7590, short wifi range

My new XPS 15 has significantly shorter wifi range than our two other laptops, in the same locations.  It works fine if I am in the same room with the router, but if I am across the house, still only 30ft or so, it doesn't work. Our other laptops, including my wife's new Inspiron 15, and an old ASUS work fine in the same situation.  I swapped out the wifi card for an Intel 9260, but the performance is the same.

Is this a common problem with this laptop or is something wrong?  Like a bad antenna?

Thanks, Bob

• 

25K Posts

May 26th, 2020 17:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2020 18:00

Earlier "reply" to yours resulted in "mailer daemon".  Being elderly (86) it becomes difficult to understand the nuances of communicating with Community.

Though not nearly as difficult as determining, at Dell site (i.e.. parts), what the proper (hopefully upgraded) replacement would be, if necessary, for  DVD/DL/BLUERAY optical drive HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU4ON on Dell XPS 8920.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2020 23:00

The same for me. With my previous old computer (Macbook pro from 2015) I was getting in the same place much better wifi signal (50mbps in tests) while now in get 10mbps luckily with drops. Please, give a solution to this.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2020 03:00

any news on this?

June 29th, 2020 08:00

I recently sent the XPS 15 in for repair.  The service was done by mail in one week, which is great.  However, after they replace the wifi card and some cable, the performance is the same.  I would assume they have no way to measure wifi range; only that it "works".   

At this point I would rather have a refund or replacement; preferably with a different model.   My wife's new inspiron laptop works just fine in this environement.  This problem looks like a design issue to me; the antenna is stuck in a crack between the two aluminum shells.

I tried to talk by phone with a service person, who wanted me to run more tests; pointless; then the call was dropped.

What can I do now?

No Events found!