Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

January 7th, 2021 13:00

New XPS 15 setup

Today I received my new XPS 15 laptop. On powering up I can see only the top quarter of the screen, below that is just an unstable blank screen (blue-green in colour). Only the small top quarter appears normal and I can see welcome text (Continue with selected language) and the flashing white cursor. Below that the cursor disappears and no text is visible at all. I presume there should be a list of languages to select from which would then take me to the next setup screen. But I can’t see anything at all so cannot select a language at all. If I press return the after a minute or so I hear a message saying something went wrong, skip or try again. But there is nothing for me to click on to take either action. Any suggestions welcome. How can I best get Dell technical support - I’m in UK

Thanks!

3 Posts

Thanks. That was my first thought. I can’t even get beyond the first screen 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Your best course of action with a defective on arrival system is to call customer service and arrange an exchange.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 7th, 2021 14:00

You can try running a screen diagnostic (hold the D key through powerup), which may help pinpoint the faulty part - the screen or the system board, but in all likelihood you'll be better off returning the system for replacement rather than having a major repair done on a brand new system.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2021 15:00

Thanks again. I have the phone number now for UK support. I will call tomorrow and ask for a replacement unit

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 7th, 2021 09:00

Update = DELL-Cares arranged a system exchange.

No Events found!