Highlighted
Sargus4808
1 Copper

No display after RAM upgrade

I posted a few weeks ago concerning a Dell XPS 1640 laptop I have.  I replaced the RAM.  Upgraded from 4G to 8G.  After replacing the RAM the display would not work. I put the old ram back in and the display STILL wouldnt work.   I hooked up an external display and ran F12 diagnostics.  EVERYTHING passed.  No RAM problems, No display problems.  Inverter checked out, etc.

After the disgnostics test I tried to let it boot up but it wouldn't.  I got a screen that was one color with a lighter color "trim" around it.

I know I bought the correct ram and have tried taking it out and replacing it hundreds of times to make sure it was in correctly.  I don't know what to do next.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: No display after RAM upgrade

If it worked fine before opening up the case, are you sure that an LCD cable is not loose, pinched, damaged, etc.?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Sargus4808
1 Copper

Re: No display after RAM upgrade

Yes, it worked fine before.  That's why I am so confused.  I have looked at would be involved to get to the LCD cable and I would have to take the whole laptop apart, almost, so I can't believe it might be THAT.  

I  really don't want to take the whole thing apart, and, anyway, how could a cable get pinched so easily if it so hard to get to?  Please help me understand!

0 Kudos