Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2022 02:00

No sound

I've lost my audio from any source - YouTube, voice messages, etc.

I rarely use audio, so unfortunately there have been several config changes since the last time I used audio. So I can't offer any clues for this issue.

One such change was updating from Windows 10 to 11 about two months ago,

BTW: The last auto check for Win Update was this morning.

With sound level set to max, I used SupportAssist > Troubleshooting > I want to troubleshoot my PC > I want to check a specific piece of hardware > Audio Devices

None of the test sounds were audible.

I also scanned the headings of the first 30 posts on this site, looking for "sound" or "audio". There are several posts, but none for "no sound".

BTW:  I don't have headphones - so I don't know if headphones are working.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 19th, 2022 15:00

Sorry for the delayed response.  I had a lightning hit that took out my cable eq, including modem last night. Nothing else just cable equipment.  (I'm a Florida retiree in the Tampa area).

As previously noted, manually download and install the Realtek sound.  I posted the link to the drivers in my second response.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 03:00

Model number?  Always include this on any initial problem post.  

In general, first thing.  Check sound settings.  Speakers should be output device.  See screenshot below.  As this is an upgraded OS system compatibility on some models is also an issue.

sound win 11.png

August 17th, 2022 04:00

@fireberd wrote:

Model number? 

OldGrantonian2_0-1660736003789.png

OldGrantonian2_1-1660736035464.png

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 06:00

The Dell drivers page shows Realtek for sound.  

Reinstall Realtek sound driver and then select it, as I show, see if you get sound.

Support for XPS 17 9710 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

August 17th, 2022 09:00

@fireberd said:

>>  Reinstall Realtek sound driver 

I used the downloadable "SupportAssist".

That has:

- Get drivers and downloads ***
- Scan hardware
- Clean files
- Tune performance
- Optimize network

According to that tool, all my drivers are up to date.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 14:00

Then you need to change the output to Realtek.  The Intel sound is the Intel CPU generated sound for external video display audio, not for internal PC audio.

August 18th, 2022 00:00

@fireberd said:

Then you need to change the output to Realtek.  The Intel sound is the Intel CPU generated sound for external video display audio, not for internal PC audio.

That makes sense. In fact, I now see that Device Manager lists two driver providers:

OldGrantonian2_0-1660805646720.png

The following screenshot is the "expanded" version of the screenshot in my OP. Up till now, I was puzzled by what the "Speakers" button was actually doing. I didn't realize it was opening a panel that was pushing down the remainder of the dialog. It was all happening too fast for my failing eyesight.

OldGrantonian2_1-1660805757968.png

So, AFAIK, all options related to sound are now exposed, but I see no mention of words such as "internal" or "Realtek".

Please advise.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2022 03:00

This is mine showing Realtek.   

Check the BIOS (Setup - F2 at power on) and check the on board sound setting.  May have been turned off.   If on, manually download the Realtek sound driver and install  See what that does.

dev mgr sound.png

August 19th, 2022 01:00

@fireberd said:

Check the BIOS (Setup - F2 at power on) and check the on board sound setting.  May have been turned off. 

There were no sound settings at Off.

As you can see from an earlier screenshot - repeated below, I have 4 Realtek drivers.

OldGrantonian2_0-1660897382084.png

Should I manually delete all four of these, then do the online Service Tag checks for drivers again?

Thanks

August 20th, 2022 03:00

@fireberd said:

...manually download and install the Realtek sound

-------------------

That worked fine.

Thanks for all your patience and help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 20th, 2022 06:00

Thanks for the update and it got resolved.

No Events found!