Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 08:00

Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

New Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10.  I've had this computer for 4 days and I get a notification from Dell Update that the system has been updated every time I restart the system.  When I go into Dell Update, it indicates that the last update was 3 days ago.  

1.  Is it normal that I get this notification upon every system restart?  Does it actually mean that the system is up-to-date?

2.  While Dell Update software does show what updates have been done to the system and the version number, it doesn't get any more info, e.g. data/time that update was applied, or summary notes of the update.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 31st, 2019 03:00

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your contributions to the thread. Going by the information provided it would appear that the issues are only related to the latest version of DCU 3.1

As I understand it, the versions of Windows 10 installed,1903 and 1909, are irrelevant as the issue is seen on both revisions.We can rule out that as a potential issue. Its occurring on brand new fresh out of box systems and systems that have running flawlessly for a while. Its also seen across multiple platforms and models.

Previous versions of the DCU software do not have this problem, I am running 2.4 on my system and do not have this problem.

For those that would like to install the previous revisions they can be downloaded from here - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311129/dell-command-update?lang=en

I would like to take this to engineering and need some assistance with the following information :-

We have customer who posted yesterday advising that as of the 30th December he is no longer having this problem - can anyone else confirm the issue has been resolved or are you still seeing it?

I'm wondering if you have the same problem if you update from a previous version of DCU to the latest version or if you start with only version 3.1 installed - @decker12 would you be willing to help test this going by your contributions and assistance so far?

For those that are asking about SupportAssist v's DCU (Dell Command | Update) they are two different pieces of software designed by two different vendors. The DCU is designed simply to keep the latest updates in check whereas SupportAssist is an all encompassing support tool designed to give info about PC health in general, support request history etc. The reason that you may see differences in what updates are available is due to catalog update differences. They run on different schedules and are defined by the software vendor. This is the reason why one of them will detect updates that may not show up until a few days later on the other.

I hope this helps and I look forward to your responses.

Alan

9.4K Posts

December 6th, 2018 08:00

Hi markwny153,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies for the confusion around the updates.

While it's pretty normal for a new system to get updates for a few days after you've registered a new operating system, it can become annoying.  There are updates from Dell, updates from Windows, etc.  

It's not recommended, but if you are wanting to turn off the update notifications, here is information you may find helpful:  

1.Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.

2.Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.
3.Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

December 6th, 2018 11:00

I don't have a program called Dell Support Center. I do have the programs Dell Update and SupportAssist. The Dell Update program doesn't have any user settings that I can find. However, SupportAssist has a Notification Enable/Disable. I believe that might be a place that I can turn off the notifications. However, I do think you missed my point. Even though I continue to get the System has been updated messages, the log in Dell Update indicates that the last update I received was days ago. I do like to keep track of what's changing on my computer, but I don't see what updates are occurring.

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 16:00

Ditto everything markwny153 said (including the absence of Dell Support Center), except my new Dell (XPS 13) is a couple of weeks old. 

Dell Update is not actually updating anything (I'm 100% up to date), yet it continually tells me that it did. 

I'd rather not nuke Dell Update from my system entirely, but will if it keeps lying to me.

January 23rd, 2019 04:00

The same problem : since the last update, everytime when the system starts I have this notification "the system has been updated" and no dell super center with user settings where I coud disable it ......

9.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 05:00

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

Dell Update - Overview and common questions

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -

12 Posts

January 29th, 2019 20:00

It's a bug in the Dell Update program. That's the notification that used to display only after an update installed. Now it shows every reboot.

Does anyone still have a warranty so we can get dell-robert-p to tell the developers to fix the update program? Come on Robert.

25 Posts

January 30th, 2019 14:00

I have an XPS 13 9360, out of warranty, so far happily working. I had some problem with the Dell SupportAsssist and the Dell Update in the past, SupportAssit causing too much memory load, Dell Update sometime not loading or sending messages at each restart.

I have uninstalled the SupportAssist, it is resource consuming and, apart from the driver updates, it does what specific Windows tools already better do (e.g. Files cleaning or hardware tests)

The Dell Update is now working fine in my case,  but in the specific version for Windows 10 1607 and higher, which is the version:

Dell-Update-Application_4985D_WIN_3.0.1_A00_01.EXE , 

Important: Another application, Dell Update Win 32, seems to have issues with the most recent versions of Windows 10 (in my case at least it was sometimes not loading or causing messages at each restart).

My recommendation: 

Uninstall the SupportAssist, Uninstall the Dell-Update, re- start the laptop (new start), install the Dell Update 4985D

April 22nd, 2019 08:00

I have a Dell XPS that is under warranty.

This is a classic example of tech support silliness. Let us make sure that we have a clear understanding of what the issue is (and preferably are able to reproduce it) before we propose a solution to deactivate notifications.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Every time I restart my Dell XPS 15 I get a notification that "The system has been updated".
  2. This happens independent of whether a new update has been deployed or not.
  3. It can easily be verified by rebooting the system twice in rapid succession.
  4. Dell SupportAsssist shows that 2 updates have been installed (this was a while ago), but that there have been no changes in the last 90 days. No new updates are available.

Dell_SupportAssist.PNG

This leads me to be believe that the Dell support software is incorrectly displaying a notification of an update when no update is happening, or that there is an update that is re-applied every time the system is rebooted.

The correct solution is not to disable notifications. This will just have unintended consequences. It is also not likely that the correct solution is to send the computer in for repair (though this is possible). To me this looks like a software issue (bug) in Dell SupportAssist being able to set the completion state of a software update.

While the bug is not critical, it definitely reduces my confidence in the Dell system management and update process.

Dell_SupportAssist_Status.PNG

April 26th, 2019 01:00

I'm experience the exactly same behavior on a XPS 13 9360. The message is really annoying - could please a support agent reply how to fix this problem? or at least that you are aware of this bug?

Disable all notification is NOT a solution - it's a bad workaround.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2019 13:00

Same issue here

Turn off notifications is not a safe workaround  

157 Posts

May 14th, 2019 10:00

Running into the same problem on a brand new, out of the box 7490. Every reboot, Dell Command Update is telling the user that the system has been updated. Going to uninstall Dell Command Update to try to get rid of the alert.

The other thing I find unusual is that every time I open Command Update, it tells me it last checked "Never" and it last updated "Never". Clearly un true as it just ran, scanned, and updated a week or a day ago.

I've had DCU on many laptops over the years and so far only this latest 3.0.1 version is giving me trouble. All the other DCU installations do NOT notify me constantly, and the "last update" and "last installed" has always shown me the proper time it last checked.

On a related note, in the past month or so, the latest version of Dell's utilities have been pretty crappy. Dell Digital Delivery (the new one) hangs on all my laptops forever, just sitting there with a spinning circle when I try to run it.

Dell Power Manager and Dell Trackpad Software now stupidly needs the Microsoft Store to download the applications, which is hilarious because Windows 10 Long Term Service Branch doesn't even HAVE the Microsoft Store.

11 Posts

June 8th, 2019 00:00

Same here.

Dell XPS 13 9370, in-service April 2018. The "The system has been updated" notification pops up after every startup whether **bleep** down OR SLEEP mode. It is not an annoyance unless the taskbar icons are needed.

The notification started about May-June 2019.  This must be the result of a Dell software change. Hopefully, this helps the developers find the cause and correct it.

157 Posts

June 8th, 2019 09:00

My solution is to uninstall the 3.xx version that comes with the laptop, and then reinstall the 3.0 version which you can still find on Dell's site. The 3.0 version doesn't have this problem. If I remember correctly this 3.0 version is strangely hidden on Dell's site so it may take a bit of screwing around to find it. I keep a copy on a thumb drive because I was tired of trying to find the program on Dell's site.

You can also find and use any of the 2.xx version which work fine and don't give this buggy notification. A brand new out of the box 7490 ran Dell command Update 2.xx just fine the other day.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2019 07:00

dell_command_update_popup_every_boot.png

I've had my Dell Precision 5530 (a high-end system in the $2700 - $3000 range) for almost a year and I keep it very well updated / maintained. I received this email Mon, Nov 25, 7:51 AM (2 days ago) prompting me to update my Dell Command Update app to Dell-Command-Update_0NJ7C_WIN_3.1.0_A00.EXE

----------------
Windows 10, 64-bit

Driver and description: This package contains the Dell Command Update application.
Download URL: https://www.dell.com/support/Home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0NJ7C

Criticality:Recommended

Release date:11/20/2019 3:15:59 PM

Description:This version of Dell Command Update (DCU) now includes a Command Line Interface. DCU 2.X is upgradable to this version.
Dell Command Update requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (or later) to be installed on the system.

-----------------------

And on the download URL page you can see it says:

--------------------
This package contains the Dell Command Update application.

Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated the Readme.txt file.
- Updated the End-User License Agreement.
- Added a new feature to automatically suspend BitLocker before updating the BIOS. After the BIOS update is complete, BitLocker is automatically enabled.
- Supports Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Added options to schedule updates on a weekly or monthly basis.

Version 3.1.0, A00
Category Systems Management
Release date 20 Nov 2019
Last Updated 21 Nov 2019
-------------------------------

So... because I do keep my systems always up to date, and presume that there is an important reason Dell released this update, I installed it.

Now, just like others in this long-time-going thread, EVERY time I restart my system (which is at least twice a day) I get a pop-up message from DCU saying the system has been updated.

This is ridiculous

I certainly want to keep DCU, and I want the "Fixes and Enhancements" of the latest version, so it's only reasonable to ask that Dell step-up and fix their software.

No Events found!