Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 08:00

Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

New Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10.  I've had this computer for 4 days and I get a notification from Dell Update that the system has been updated every time I restart the system.  When I go into Dell Update, it indicates that the last update was 3 days ago.  

1.  Is it normal that I get this notification upon every system restart?  Does it actually mean that the system is up-to-date?

2.  While Dell Update software does show what updates have been done to the system and the version number, it doesn't get any more info, e.g. data/time that update was applied, or summary notes of the update.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2020 16:00

Still having the issue here and yes this forum is sorting these posts in a strange way.  1st page appears to have the most recent posts.

13 Posts

January 7th, 2020 23:00

In my recent post I tried uploading a JPG image, because PNG images don't appear. Well actually they do appear just after posting, but when you come back later they have turned into a stock placeholder image with no useful content.

Oh, it would seem that JPG images don't work either,  in exactly the same way that PNG images don't.  

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 8th, 2020 03:00

@Antient images posted to the forum tend to be moderated. I have found that there is often a 24hr turnaround before they show up in the post if they get approved.

Alan

January 8th, 2020 09:00

I have had the same problem for several weeks now. Like others have described I get a pop-up notification every time I boot my Dell 8390 PC saying "Dell Update - The system has been updated." I click OK and the notice appears again next time I boot up.  Is this triggered by a "service." I can turn off?

13 Posts

January 9th, 2020 00:00

I have Alienware Update v 3.1 and I'm still getting random notifications that my "system has been updated". When I open Alienware Update, it says the last check was done 18th December 2019 and last update was done 13th August 2019. The "last check" date is particularly odd because I've run the scan each time I get one of the random Alenware Update notifications. What is going on with the updater??

• 

25.1K Posts

January 9th, 2020 00:00

Hi, 

I haven't received an update yet from our product engineering team. I will continue to monitor and will keep you posted on further updates accordingly. I should have an update in the next 1 to 2 business days.

-Prajesh

January 9th, 2020 02:00

XPS 8920, Windows 10.

I am also getting this annoying pop-up on boot into Windows. First appeared December 2019.

Have tried uninstalling Dell Update and reinstalling from a link provided by Dell Support, but problem pop-up persists.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 12th, 2020 00:00

Hi, 

I hope you're doing well.

Request raised is in progress. Seems like there is a delay is because of the weekend. I will keep you posted as soon as I have an update on this. I should hear from them in the next 2 days.

-Prajesh

January 12th, 2020 08:00

@Anonymous 

I have the same problem, which I expect is widespread. I am running:

Inspiron 7559

Win 10 Home version 1909

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Rob

13 Posts

January 12th, 2020 13:00

Received an email from Dell-Cares advising that Alienware Update App had been discontinued and the app can be deleted from system. I rang Dell Australia support to confirm this and they checked into whether deleting from system was an issue. SupportAssist performs all the update checks required so deleting Alienware Update is probably the best solution to stop the random update notifications. I have an Aurora R5 with v3.1 of Alienware Update and I can get those notifications frequently. Haven't deleted update app from my system yet, but will probably do soon if I hear nothing else offered as the solution. Hope this helps

• 

25.1K Posts

January 14th, 2020 03:00

Hi, 

I hope you're doing well.

I'm still waiting for an update. I will keep you posted as soon as I have an update on this. 

-Prajesh

January 14th, 2020 04:00

Support seems to have rectified problem by installing Dell Command Support onto PC. Thanks for the help.

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 08:00

Experiencing the same issue with update pop-up after every reboot.  I am using an XPS-13-9370, running Dell Update v3.1 and Support Assist v3.4.  I can also confirm that I see the same apparent date error issue in regards to the Last Check for an update.  Mine is currently showing Last Check of 11-6-19 even though I have checked many times since, and a Last Update of 1-7-20.

I hope this gets fixed soon!

DW

4 Posts

January 14th, 2020 16:00

Same issue here on an Alienware 17 R2 running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 build 18363.535 with Alienware Update Version 3.1

Note that this issue has been persistent on this machine since buying it new in early 2016 and hence regardless of which version of Dell Support Assist and/or Dell/Alienware Update I happened to be running at any given time.

My "fix" for this has always been to uninstall and only reinstall when I want to check for system updates BUT I also fully understand that this is dodging the issue and is not a solution.

I completely agree this this MUST be a programming error I.e., BUG in the software relating to time/date stamps as several here have already indicated what is being reported in regard to opening the application and noting the values reported at both Last Check: AND Last Update: - in my case I have a Last Check value of 3/11/2019 (which seems about right as from memory I installed a BIOS update at around this time) and a Last Update value of 30/12/2018 - as is plainly evident there, the Last Update value is not being updated to reflect the same value as the Last Check which is when the Last Update was ACTUALLY installed.

My only other theory on all of this and I am purely speculating/throwing another idea into the mix, is that there is information held on a Dell server somewhere which is related to individual users/systems and there is something not right.

Have to say, and hopefully I am only imagining a worst case scenario which again is purely speculative, but I truly hope this has nothing to do with the Service Tag and PII issues and some sort of long standing cover up - Dell themselves have admitted to this breach and I am unsure of if the root cause/perpetrators were ever identified as internal or external and/or the full ramifications and usefulness of the information which was leaked/stolen

My understanding is that a Service Tag is basically useless to the attacker of an individual unless the attacker can also provide Name, Email and Phone Number along with the Service Tag to a Dell representative or the individual they are trying to scam through social engineering - but hang on, the offenders did seem to know this information so ... hmmm.

What am I talking about you may ask? Well you can read more in a Feb 16 article by Krebs here:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/dell-to-customers-report-service-tag-scams/#comments 

In the meantime I am going to do a clean install of Retail Win 10 Pro just because it is time to do so - after which I will install Alienware Update 3.1 again, run the checks, and then uninstall and reinstall periodically to check again.

Last of all, and IMO, this problem does not seem to get the attention it deserves being in relation to what could potentially become a security vulnerability because of buggy applications that fail to report/work correctly and furthermore, drive those using them to a point of frustration where they permanently uninstall.

FIX IT!

3 Posts

January 15th, 2020 06:00

Prajesh, please post the solution.  It isn't practical for you to log onto every affected computer with this problem.  I'd like to fix mine also.

No Events found!