Highlighted
CC02
1 Copper

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

I received the same email from "Prajesh" and for my own security I will not be allowing remote access to a vague and unknown respondent. In my opinion it's safest to ignore the email.

0 Kudos
CC02
1 Copper

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 that I work and game on. Alienware Update was the "on board" updater, but I use SupportAssist for self diagnostics and updating of hardware, drivers, and BIOS. I'm guessing you can also download SupportAssist from the Dell website and use that for your updates. That way, the Dell Update/Alienware Update can be removed from systems as SupportAssist does the same updates (and more with the added self diagnostics) 🙂

0 Kudos

@CC02 wrote:

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 that I work and game on. Alienware Update was the "on board" updater, but I use SupportAssist for self diagnostics and updating of hardware, drivers, and BIOS. I'm guessing you can also download SupportAssist from the Dell website and use that for your updates. That way, the Dell Update/Alienware Update can be removed from systems as SupportAssist does the same updates (and more with the added self diagnostics) 🙂

SupportAssist and Dell Update were both loaded on my Inspiron laptop when I bought it.  In my experience, they report contradictory results.  I think I'll use SupportAssist in addition to Dell's support website to identify updates to my laptop while Dell continues to fiddle with Dell (Command) Update.

0 Kudos
IceSapphire
1 Copper

I would yes, here is the picture i keep getting for dell not working correctly with my firewall, the blacked out info is just my IPDellissue.PNGThis comes up every few minutes

0 Kudos
CC02
1 Copper

I was typing a reply to suggest you uninstall then re-install SupportAssist and I opened my SupportAssist to check what version I had. Alerted me there was an update, so installed the update - and what do you know, I got the same Norton Firewall alert that you got! Only came up twice and hit "Allow Always" both times. Has stopped coming up but will monitor this new 3.4.1 version to see if I keep getting that same Norton's Firewall alert you have. If it keeps coming up, I'll just uninstall new version and go back to previous version. Will update on whether I continue to get the Norton's alert.

0 Kudos
CC02
1 Copper

Further to my previous reply, I just read this about the latest Windows 10 update (that I was holding off installing, but that self-installed anyway 2 days ago) about security issues with certificates. Googled the 2 files tmp.exe files that Nortons flagged on my PC after doing the SupportAssist update and am a little concerned considering timing of the Norton alerts from the new SupportAssist update and the forced install of the new buggy Windows 10 update. Hope this is not a major malware issue!! Will keep you posted...

CC02_0-1579302817737.png

Link to article on new Windows 10 security issue:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/epic-fail-critical-windows-10-security-update-failing-to-install?utm_... 

0 Kudos
Mart1nS
1 Copper

Looks like the "Last Check:" value is retrieved by reading the
C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\Log\Activity.log file and extracting <timestamp> from the last entry where message starts with "Checking for updates".

In my case I have no such entries at all and Dell Update displays "Last Check: Never" even though check for updates has been run multiple times and also updates have been installed in the past.

Either the check for update process doesn't write the required log entry anymore or it has changed the message for the this entry and it should perhaps look for this message instead.
<LogEntry>
<appname>Dell Update</appname>
<level>Normal</level>
<timestamp>2020-01-23T14:10:49.0683277+01:00</timestamp>
<source>Dell.UpdateService.Update.Update.GetInventoryData</source>
<message>Getting inventory data...</message>
<trace></trace>
<data />
</LogEntry>

If I change one of the "Getting inventory data..." messages with "Checking for updates..." then the Dell Update -> "Last Check:" value is showing the corresponding date, but unfortunately that doesn't get rid of
the annoying "System has been updated" message on boot.

It seems like the DellClientManagementService Windows Service is running "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Update\DellUpdate.exe' UpdatesApplied" on boot.

Looking in C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\Log\Service.log I see this:

INFO} Requested update set <2>: [{ HashCode: dce0b4ca, ReleaseId: TBT79, Name: "Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver", VendorVersion: 17.4.79.510 }, { HashCode: 2d21cde6, ReleaseId: FJJK7, Name: "Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update", VendorVersion: 4.26.11.001 }]
INFO} Prescribed valid set <0>: []
INFO} Regular valid set <23>: [{ HashCode: cd62b606, ReleaseId: 695F9, Name: "Dell Help And Support Application", VendorVersion: 2.6.1.0 }, { HashCode: d238c232, ReleaseId: WGNN6, Name: "ASIX USB to Serial / Parallel Port Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0.2.0 }, { HashCode: 2398a7f1, ReleaseId: THYGX, Name: "Dell Foundation Services - Application", VendorVersion: 3.4.16100.0 }, { HashCode: 62e50db4, ReleaseId: 8MJFN, Name: "Dell Command | Power Manager", VendorVersion: 2.2.1 }, { HashCode: 50f92db2, ReleaseId: 8R3ND, Name: "Dell Wireless 1830 Bluetooth Application", VendorVersion: 12.0.1.720 }, { HashCode: d262e994, ReleaseId: WC67W, Name: "Dell Mobile Connect Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0 }, { HashCode: fd2cee25, ReleaseId: 5M95W, Name: "Intel HID Event Filter Driver", VendorVersion: 1.1.0.313 }, { HashCode: e348c80c, ReleaseId: DFDP5, Name: "STMicroelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver", VendorVersion: 4.10.0079 }, { HashCode: 97e0ce68, ReleaseId: 9WC61, Name: "Dell Customer Connect", VendorVersion: 1.5.1.0 }, { HashCode: e7084462, ReleaseId: V373W, Name: "Killer Wireless AC 1535 and 1435 Bluetooth Driver", VendorVersion: 10.0.0.916 }, { HashCode: a57fdcc9, ReleaseId: 8Y3XG, Name: "Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver", VendorVersion: 1.566.0.0 }, { HashCode: 7a934483, ReleaseId: DX4T3, Name: "Dell Command Configure", VendorVersion: 4.2.1.568 }, { HashCode: eac45552, ReleaseId: R16KJ, Name: "Realtek Memory Card Reader Driver", VendorVersion: 10.0.17763.21313 }, { HashCode: 99942038, ReleaseId: 0NJ7C, Name: "Dell Command Update for Win32", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: 2f2c4359, ReleaseId: G95KX, Name: "Killer Control Center Application", VendorVersion: 2.0.2369.0 }, { HashCode: e9ad4bee, ReleaseId: 9FX1M, Name: "Dell Update Application for UWP", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: 3950a286, ReleaseId: T48JW, Name: "Dell/Alienware Digital Delivery Application", VendorVersion: 4.0.41.0 }, { HashCode: 70ca0bbe, ReleaseId: V104D, Name: "Dell Command Update for UWP", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: d04486a5, ReleaseId: K7MTH, Name: "Killer 1650W/1650X/1435/1435s/1535 WiFi Controller Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0.1170 }, { HashCode: 65070563, ReleaseId: 70PH6, Name: "Dell Command | Monitor", VendorVersion: 10.2.1.80 }, { HashCode: 6b1cb54d, ReleaseId: WGFXM, Name: "SupportAssist Update Plugin Application", VendorVersion: 5.0.1.10877 }, { HashCode: 73d75cd8, ReleaseId: 633V1, Name: "Intel 3165/7265/8260/8265 WiFi driver", VendorVersion: 21.20.1.1834 }, { HashCode: 49263a38, ReleaseId: VD1KT, Name: "Intel HD Graphics Driver", VendorVersion: 26.20.100.7263 }]
INFO} Conditional check for [Dell Update], checking if prescribed updates are part of Invalid updates.
INFO} Update TBT79, Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver, 17.4.79.510 is not prescribed, adding it to Invalid Updates
INFO} Update FJJK7, Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update, 4.26.11.001 is not prescribed, adding it to Invalid Updates
INFO} Valid Updates [0]
INFO} Invalid Updates [2]
INFO} [1] TBT79, Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver, 17.4.79.510
INFO} [2] FJJK7, Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update, 4.26.11.001
DEBUG} Stage [Scanning] complete
DEBUG} Enter stage [Downloading]
INFO} No packages to download
DEBUG} Stage [Downloading] complete
INFO} Skipping restore point creation as no packages downloaded/found
DEBUG} Enter stage [Applying]
INFO} Found [0] installable package(s)
INFO} Found [0] self-update packages
INFO} Successfully installed [0] of [0] DUP updates
INFO} Successfully installed [0] of [0] plugin updates
INFO} Reboot required [False]
INFO} Resume pending updates [False]
DEBUG} Attempting to send notification 0x0006.

So my guess is that the notification (0x0006 = UpdatesApplied) is triggered by there being items in "Requested update set" and not based on there being items in "Valid Updates", which I assume would contain the actual updates 

0 Kudos