Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 08:00

Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

New Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10.  I've had this computer for 4 days and I get a notification from Dell Update that the system has been updated every time I restart the system.  When I go into Dell Update, it indicates that the last update was 3 days ago.  

1.  Is it normal that I get this notification upon every system restart?  Does it actually mean that the system is up-to-date?

2.  While Dell Update software does show what updates have been done to the system and the version number, it doesn't get any more info, e.g. data/time that update was applied, or summary notes of the update.

5 Posts

January 15th, 2020 08:00

Got the same email and like to the web page that would not allow me in.

I received an email from "Prajesh" this morning requesting remote access to my system given that he's received an update from the product team.  When I click on the supplied link, I get a web page  with the message "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.  Click your browser's Back button to continue."  The back button is disabled.

There is no private message in my inbox, and there is nothing here from Prajesh about an update, so I'm at a loss to respond, except to say that I'm loathe to give anyone remote access to my system without some indication of why such access is needed and what he/she intends to do.

Still looking forward to a fix for this issue.

I keep getting this as well every so often my firewall pops up saying conflicting error dell assist or something along those lines I'm a little worried i might get hacked is there a new brand i can purchase other then dell me and my friend play on PC games and we are all debating on switching because the dell update constantly slows down PFS because its working in the background. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

13 Posts

January 15th, 2020 16:00

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 that I work and game on. Alienware Update was the "on board" updater, but I use SupportAssist for self diagnostics and updating of hardware, drivers, and BIOS. I'm guessing you can also download SupportAssist from the Dell website and use that for your updates. That way, the Dell Update/Alienware Update can be removed from systems as SupportAssist does the same updates (and more with the added self diagnostics)

13 Posts

I received the same email from "Prajesh" and for my own security I will not be allowing remote access to a vague and unknown respondent. In my opinion it's safest to ignore the email.

1 Message

I'm having the same issue with my Inspiron 7786. I'm being notified of updates that are not being done.

January 15th, 2020 17:00

@CC02 wrote:

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 that I work and game on. Alienware Update was the "on board" updater, but I use SupportAssist for self diagnostics and updating of hardware, drivers, and BIOS. I'm guessing you can also download SupportAssist from the Dell website and use that for your updates. That way, the Dell Update/Alienware Update can be removed from systems as SupportAssist does the same updates (and more with the added self diagnostics)

SupportAssist and Dell Update were both loaded on my Inspiron laptop when I bought it.  In my experience, they report contradictory results.  I think I'll use SupportAssist in addition to Dell's support website to identify updates to my laptop while Dell continues to fiddle with Dell (Command) Update.

January 17th, 2020 09:00

I would yes, here is the picture i keep getting for dell not working correctly with my firewall, the blacked out info is just my IPThis comes up every few minutesThis comes up every few minutes

13 Posts

January 17th, 2020 14:00

I was typing a reply to suggest you uninstall then re-install SupportAssist and I opened my SupportAssist to check what version I had. Alerted me there was an update, so installed the update - and what do you know, I got the same Norton Firewall alert that you got! Only came up twice and hit "Allow Always" both times. Has stopped coming up but will monitor this new 3.4.1 version to see if I keep getting that same Norton's Firewall alert you have. If it keeps coming up, I'll just uninstall new version and go back to previous version. Will update on whether I continue to get the Norton's alert.

13 Posts

January 17th, 2020 15:00

Further to my previous reply, I just read this about the latest Windows 10 update (that I was holding off installing, but that self-installed anyway 2 days ago) about security issues with certificates. Googled the 2 files tmp.exe files that Nortons flagged on my PC after doing the SupportAssist update and am a little concerned considering timing of the Norton alerts from the new SupportAssist update and the forced install of the new buggy Windows 10 update. Hope this is not a major malware issue!! Will keep you posted...

CC02_0-1579302817737.png

Link to article on new Windows 10 security issue:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/epic-fail-critical-windows-10-security-update-failing-to-install?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12597&utm_content=20200117_TomsGuide_Adhoc+&utm_term=2715133&m_i=he3MUGz%2BlNO04WBn5GFtmz_pNX0FfIK4cXR%2Bsu1FqqpnR9oi3q2cV_zyEesHf3uGqdp4s2wVe%2BZ_JuJ4OlhSDaKYvOWuWh6lhZ 

1 Message

January 24th, 2020 03:00

Looks like the "Last Check:" value is retrieved by reading the
C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\Log\Activity.log file and extracting from the last entry where message starts with "Checking for updates".

In my case I have no such entries at all and Dell Update displays "Last Check: Never" even though check for updates has been run multiple times and also updates have been installed in the past.

Either the check for update process doesn't write the required log entry anymore or it has changed the message for the this entry and it should perhaps look for this message instead.

Dell Update
Normal
2020-01-23T14:10:49.0683277+01:00
Dell.UpdateService.Update.Update.GetInventoryData
Getting inventory data...

If I change one of the "Getting inventory data..." messages with "Checking for updates..." then the Dell Update -> "Last Check:" value is showing the corresponding date, but unfortunately that doesn't get rid of
the annoying "System has been updated" message on boot.

It seems like the DellClientManagementService Windows Service is running "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Update\DellUpdate.exe' UpdatesApplied" on boot.

Looking in C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdateService\Log\Service.log I see this:

INFO} Requested update set <2>: [{ HashCode: dce0b4ca, ReleaseId: TBT79, Name: "Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver", VendorVersion: 17.4.79.510 }, { HashCode: 2d21cde6, ReleaseId: FJJK7, Name: "Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update", VendorVersion: 4.26.11.001 }]
INFO} Prescribed valid set <0>: []
INFO} Regular valid set <23>: [{ HashCode: cd62b606, ReleaseId: 695F9, Name: "Dell Help And Support Application", VendorVersion: 2.6.1.0 }, { HashCode: d238c232, ReleaseId: WGNN6, Name: "ASIX USB to Serial / Parallel Port Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0.2.0 }, { HashCode: 2398a7f1, ReleaseId: THYGX, Name: "Dell Foundation Services - Application", VendorVersion: 3.4.16100.0 }, { HashCode: 62e50db4, ReleaseId: 8MJFN, Name: "Dell Command | Power Manager", VendorVersion: 2.2.1 }, { HashCode: 50f92db2, ReleaseId: 8R3ND, Name: "Dell Wireless 1830 Bluetooth Application", VendorVersion: 12.0.1.720 }, { HashCode: d262e994, ReleaseId: WC67W, Name: "Dell Mobile Connect Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0 }, { HashCode: fd2cee25, ReleaseId: 5M95W, Name: "Intel HID Event Filter Driver", VendorVersion: 1.1.0.313 }, { HashCode: e348c80c, ReleaseId: DFDP5, Name: "STMicroelectronics Free Fall Data Protection Driver", VendorVersion: 4.10.0079 }, { HashCode: 97e0ce68, ReleaseId: 9WC61, Name: "Dell Customer Connect", VendorVersion: 1.5.1.0 }, { HashCode: e7084462, ReleaseId: V373W, Name: "Killer Wireless AC 1535 and 1435 Bluetooth Driver", VendorVersion: 10.0.0.916 }, { HashCode: a57fdcc9, ReleaseId: 8Y3XG, Name: "Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver", VendorVersion: 1.566.0.0 }, { HashCode: 7a934483, ReleaseId: DX4T3, Name: "Dell Command Configure", VendorVersion: 4.2.1.568 }, { HashCode: eac45552, ReleaseId: R16KJ, Name: "Realtek Memory Card Reader Driver", VendorVersion: 10.0.17763.21313 }, { HashCode: 99942038, ReleaseId: 0NJ7C, Name: "Dell Command Update for Win32", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: 2f2c4359, ReleaseId: G95KX, Name: "Killer Control Center Application", VendorVersion: 2.0.2369.0 }, { HashCode: e9ad4bee, ReleaseId: 9FX1M, Name: "Dell Update Application for UWP", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: 3950a286, ReleaseId: T48JW, Name: "Dell/Alienware Digital Delivery Application", VendorVersion: 4.0.41.0 }, { HashCode: 70ca0bbe, ReleaseId: V104D, Name: "Dell Command Update for UWP", VendorVersion: 3.1.0 }, { HashCode: d04486a5, ReleaseId: K7MTH, Name: "Killer 1650W/1650X/1435/1435s/1535 WiFi Controller Driver", VendorVersion: 2.0.1170 }, { HashCode: 65070563, ReleaseId: 70PH6, Name: "Dell Command | Monitor", VendorVersion: 10.2.1.80 }, { HashCode: 6b1cb54d, ReleaseId: WGFXM, Name: "SupportAssist Update Plugin Application", VendorVersion: 5.0.1.10877 }, { HashCode: 73d75cd8, ReleaseId: 633V1, Name: "Intel 3165/7265/8260/8265 WiFi driver", VendorVersion: 21.20.1.1834 }, { HashCode: 49263a38, ReleaseId: VD1KT, Name: "Intel HD Graphics Driver", VendorVersion: 26.20.100.7263 }]
INFO} Conditional check for [Dell Update], checking if prescribed updates are part of Invalid updates.
INFO} Update TBT79, Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver, 17.4.79.510 is not prescribed, adding it to Invalid Updates
INFO} Update FJJK7, Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update, 4.26.11.001 is not prescribed, adding it to Invalid Updates
INFO} Valid Updates [0]
INFO} Invalid Updates [2]
INFO} [1] TBT79, Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver, 17.4.79.510
INFO} [2] FJJK7, Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update, 4.26.11.001
DEBUG} Stage [Scanning] complete
DEBUG} Enter stage [Downloading]
INFO} No packages to download
DEBUG} Stage [Downloading] complete
INFO} Skipping restore point creation as no packages downloaded/found
DEBUG} Enter stage [Applying]
INFO} Found [0] installable package(s)
INFO} Found [0] self-update packages
INFO} Successfully installed [0] of [0] DUP updates
INFO} Successfully installed [0] of [0] plugin updates
INFO} Reboot required [False]
INFO} Resume pending updates [False]
DEBUG} Attempting to send notification 0x0006.

So my guess is that the notification (0x0006 = UpdatesApplied) is triggered by there being items in "Requested update set" and not based on there being items in "Valid Updates", which I assume would contain the actual updates 

3 Posts

January 27th, 2020 20:00

Since a forced Dell update a few days ago my XPS laptop shuts down when I try to use the Sleep mode and on each restart I get a notification of a Dell update downloaded.  I am a user, not an IT guru, with no idea how to rectify these issues. I do not have time deal with these problems multiple times per day every time I leave my machine for a while.

And now I got this when I registered for this board:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  •  
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Someone at Dell help me please!!!

3 Posts

January 29th, 2020 18:00

I received a msg from Dell telling me that my service contract had expired - I knew this and also know that I cannot extend it anymore as my machine is too old. So how do I get this issue of shutting down everytime it goes into Sleep mode and also the Dell update message everytime I restart??

25 Posts

January 30th, 2020 06:00

in reply to the message of help DT

I am not a PC expert, but, from the description of your problems, it looks that something went wrong in the installation of the Dell Update. I would do the following:

- uninstall the SupportAsisst (in case you have it) and also the Dell Update using an uninstaller program which cleans also left over files  - in my experience the Revo Uninstaller does a good job , it is free and safe (but download it directly from the developer website (revouninstaller)

-reboot the PC

-install the 'Dell Update Application for UWP' , it seems to performs better with the newer Windows 10 versions than the Dell Update Application for Win32 

-reboot the PC

Note 1 - I personally do not keep the SupportAssist - I install it and use it if needed, but then I uninstall it.

Note 2 - looking at the Dell support website, it is also relatively easy to check for drivers updates, without the Dell Update and without the SuportAssist. Just click on the column 'release date' and you find the newest ones 

3 Posts

January 30th, 2020 06:00

Please see my post below; same issue.  I am running McAfee Total Protection. Any progress on your end?

No Events found!