Highlighted
3 Argentium

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

My solution is to uninstall the 3.xx version that comes with the laptop, and then reinstall the 3.0 version which you can still find on Dell's site. The 3.0 version doesn't have this problem. If I remember correctly this 3.0 version is strangely hidden on Dell's site so it may take a bit of screwing around to find it. I keep a copy on a thumb drive because I was tired of trying to find the program on Dell's site.

You can also find and use any of the 2.xx version which work fine and don't give this buggy notification. A brand new out of the box 7490 ran Dell command Update 2.xx just fine the other day.

Highlighted
1 Copper

dell_command_update_popup_every_boot.png

I've had my Dell Precision 5530 (a high-end system in the $2700 - $3000 range) for almost a year and I keep it very well updated / maintained. I received this email Mon, Nov 25, 7:51 AM (2 days ago) prompting me to update my Dell Command Update app to Dell-Command-Update_0NJ7C_WIN_3.1.0_A00.EXE

----------------
Windows 10, 64-bit

Driver and description: This package contains the Dell Command Update application.
Download URL: https://www.dell.com/support/Home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0NJ7C

Criticality:Recommended

Release date:11/20/2019 3:15:59 PM

Description:This version of Dell Command Update (DCU) now includes a Command Line Interface. DCU 2.X is upgradable to this version.<br/>Dell Command Update requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (or later) to be installed on the system.
-----------------------

And on the download URL page you can see it says:

--------------------
This package contains the Dell Command Update application.

Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated the Readme.txt file.
- Updated the End-User License Agreement.
- Added a new feature to automatically suspend BitLocker before updating the BIOS. After the BIOS update is complete, BitLocker is automatically enabled.
- Supports Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Added options to schedule updates on a weekly or monthly basis.

Version 3.1.0, A00
Category Systems Management
Release date 20 Nov 2019
Last Updated 21 Nov 2019
-------------------------------

So... because I do keep my systems always up to date, and presume that there is an important reason Dell released this update, I installed it.

Now, just like others in this long-time-going thread, EVERY time I restart my system (which is at least twice a day) I get a pop-up message from DCU saying the system has been updated.

This is ridiculous 😞

I certainly want to keep DCU, and I want the "Fixes and Enhancements" of the latest version, so it's only reasonable to ask that Dell step-up and fix their software.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here.  I have a 3 month old XPS 13 9380. Win10 home version 1903, everything up to date.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here.  The "System has been updated" message keeps popping up.  It's a minor problem that has only occurred after my last Dell system update, but it is VERY annoying!  Dell -- please fix it!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here. System update notification started 2 days ago on my Alienware Aurora R5 (3 year old machine and still under warranty). Last update I did was a SupportAssist recommended update on 18th December "- Dell Update Application for Win32 - A00 - 84.8 MB - Recommended - Installed". Frustrating seeing this message come up all the time!!

DELL ... PLEASE FIX!!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same issue here on a XPS 9560

Highlighted
1 Copper

</rant on>

Firstly, am I the only one to notice that the posts in this thread seem to (a) repeat themselves and (b) appear in a totally random time order?

Secondly, there seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the actual piece of software which is at fault. Is it "Dell Command Update", which I don't have on my system, or "Dell Update", which I do?

Thirdly, is anyone going to fix this board so that PNG images will display correctly? They are accepted by the uploader during posting, and then sadly fail to display?

</rant off> 

Highlighted

@Antient I can't say I had seen any issues with posts posted in random order or repeating themself apart from posts marked as a solution. It may be worth checking your preferences under your settings to see if that makes a difference.

Dell Update and Command | Update are consumer and commercial version of the same software. Dell Update is primarily for consumer systems i.e Vostro, Inspiron, XPS and Alienware. Command | Update is for the commercial systems i.e Latitude , Optiplex, Precision and XPS. 

As I understand it .png files have to be sent for approval before they are displayed.

Can I ask what model of system you have and confirm the issue is with Dell Update.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan D Thank you for your response.

I have an Inspiron 7570 running Windows 10 Version 1909.

The software causing the problem for me is Dell Update Version 3.1.

I have attached a screen shot which you will hopefully be able to see.

Capture.JPG

It show a time and date of last update of 06:02 on 28/12/2019 (28th December) and a time and date of last check slightly over a month earlier than that of 08:38 on 26/11/2019 (26th November). The time and date of last check never varies, no matter how many automatic or manual runs of Dell Update have occured since the last update.

As a (retired) IT systems professional I believe the explanation of the problem is there in plain sight.  I am assuming that when Dell Update runs at reboot it compares the two times and dates, and if the time and date of updating is more recent than the time and date of checking it will throw up a notification that says "The system has been updated". If the time and date of checking never changes (which it doesn't, even after running a manual check) then that notification will be thrown up every time, and that is what everyone is complaining about.

If the software maintainers were to look for the reason why the time and date of the last check never changes, they'd have a fairly simple solution to this problem, wouldn't they? 😉

Highlighted

@Antient thanks for picking up on that, that's really helpful. Hopefully it is something as simple as that date anomaly. As my colleagues from DELLCares have mentioned, engineering are investigating the issue. I'll pass on that additional info.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro