Highlighted

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updat

I've been waiting around here for over a month without a fix for this issue.  I've posted here several times and have exchanged several private messages with Dell people.  Their latest private response is that they're in communication with their engineers and will notify me when a fix is available.  I've decided to stop holding my breath.  

I uninstalled DCU 3.1 and replaced it with DCU 3.0 awhile back.  Both produced the errant "Updated" message on reboot.  I'm thinking I'll re-install the latest version on the assumption that someday it will get fixed.  When I go here looking for 3.1, I see (apparently) two different downloads.  Which one do I pick?

Thanks for any help.

Highlighted
Monferrato
2 Bronze

Being a simple-minded user, probably I am missing something. Still, trying to help, I have a question first:

is the issue, as described, related to the 'Dell Update' application or to the 'Dell Command | Update'  application? In fact the link you included relates to the Dell Command | Update - 

In my case, I had installed the 'Dell Update' , see:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9fx1m&oscode=wt64a&p...

Having said that, my impression is that the Dell Update UWP application may fail sometimes to find new updates, so I actually prefer checking directly the Dell website for driver updates.  Clicking on the `Release Date' you get the latest releases.

Hope it helps.

Highlighted

@Monferrato 

My understanding from spending about 2 months on this site is that Dell Update and Dell Command|Update are the same application.  If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

When I go to the site to find version, there are two downloads:

You point to the Universal Windows Platform version.  I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.657.  Is that the correct one for me?

Thanks for any help.

Highlighted
Monferrato
2 Bronze

@MarlinGolden39A 

You are running the most recent stable version of Windows 10. Assuming you have the 64-bit  installation of Windows, I would install the UWP version of the Dell Update, as per the link I have sent . (note: if you have the 32-bit installation,  forget my link and install the 32 - bit version of the Dell Update)

My recommendation for the installation process of the UWP version:

Once you have downloaded the file, save it before open it. 

After you have saved it, open it. During the installation process you will be asked if you want to repair your current Dell Update installation, or remove it. Go for the option to remove it. At the end of the process, you will asked to reboot, and you should do so.  With that you have actually uninstalled the Dell Update.

Then, go back to installation file that you have saved, open it as administrator, and run the installation. At the end you will have to reboot the laptop. 

Good luck!

Highlighted

@Monferrato 

Thanks for the help.  I've been having a private conversation with one of the Dell people, and he/she told me just the opposite <laughing>!

I think I'll follow your instructions when I get time.

Highlighted
Yookee66
1 Copper

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

Same issue here

Turn off notifications is not a safe workaround  

Tags (1)
Highlighted
decker12
3 Argentium

Running into the same problem on a brand new, out of the box 7490. Every reboot, Dell Command Update is telling the user that the system has been updated. Going to uninstall Dell Command Update to try to get rid of the alert.

The other thing I find unusual is that every time I open Command Update, it tells me it last checked "Never" and it last updated "Never". Clearly un true as it just ran, scanned, and updated a week or a day ago.

I've had DCU on many laptops over the years and so far only this latest 3.0.1 version is giving me trouble. All the other DCU installations do NOT notify me constantly, and the "last update" and "last installed" has always shown me the proper time it last checked.

On a related note, in the past month or so, the latest version of Dell's utilities have been pretty crappy. Dell Digital Delivery (the new one) hangs on all my laptops forever, just sitting there with a spinning circle when I try to run it.

Dell Power Manager and Dell Trackpad Software now stupidly needs the Microsoft Store to download the applications, which is hilarious because Windows 10 Long Term Service Branch doesn't even HAVE the Microsoft Store.

Highlighted
bryanwxup
1 Copper

Same here.

Dell XPS 13 9370, in-service April 2018. The "The system has been updated" notification pops up after every startup whether **bleep** down OR SLEEP mode. It is not an annoyance unless the taskbar icons are needed.

The notification started about May-June 2019.  This must be the result of a Dell software change. Hopefully, this helps the developers find the cause and correct it.

Highlighted
decker12
3 Argentium

My solution is to uninstall the 3.xx version that comes with the laptop, and then reinstall the 3.0 version which you can still find on Dell's site. The 3.0 version doesn't have this problem. If I remember correctly this 3.0 version is strangely hidden on Dell's site so it may take a bit of screwing around to find it. I keep a copy on a thumb drive because I was tired of trying to find the program on Dell's site.

You can also find and use any of the 2.xx version which work fine and don't give this buggy notification. A brand new out of the box 7490 ran Dell command Update 2.xx just fine the other day.

Highlighted
SomeDave
1 Copper

dell_command_update_popup_every_boot.png

I've had my Dell Precision 5530 (a high-end system in the $2700 - $3000 range) for almost a year and I keep it very well updated / maintained. I received this email Mon, Nov 25, 7:51 AM (2 days ago) prompting me to update my Dell Command Update app to Dell-Command-Update_0NJ7C_WIN_3.1.0_A00.EXE

----------------
Windows 10, 64-bit

Driver and description: This package contains the Dell Command Update application.
Download URL: https://www.dell.com/support/Home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0NJ7C

Criticality:Recommended

Release date:11/20/2019 3:15:59 PM

Description:This version of Dell Command Update (DCU) now includes a Command Line Interface. DCU 2.X is upgradable to this version.<br/>Dell Command Update requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (or later) to be installed on the system.
-----------------------

And on the download URL page you can see it says:

--------------------
This package contains the Dell Command Update application.

Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated the Readme.txt file.
- Updated the End-User License Agreement.
- Added a new feature to automatically suspend BitLocker before updating the BIOS. After the BIOS update is complete, BitLocker is automatically enabled.
- Supports Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Added options to schedule updates on a weekly or monthly basis.

Version 3.1.0, A00
Category Systems Management
Release date 20 Nov 2019
Last Updated 21 Nov 2019
-------------------------------

So... because I do keep my systems always up to date, and presume that there is an important reason Dell released this update, I installed it.

Now, just like others in this long-time-going thread, EVERY time I restart my system (which is at least twice a day) I get a pop-up message from DCU saying the system has been updated.

This is ridiculous 😞

I certainly want to keep DCU, and I want the "Fixes and Enhancements" of the latest version, so it's only reasonable to ask that Dell step-up and fix their software.