Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2022 13:00

One of two extra monitors suddenly turned black...

XPS 15 9570

XPS 15 9570

As mentioned in another question here in the forum, "Missing drivers after Win 11 install", I made a clear re-install of Windows to try to get rid of an annoying issue.

I had a clean W10 install with all the Dell drivers installed. Based on Dell recommendations I replaced my two old Dell monitors with a pair of Dell U2723QE in May -22. That didn't really work out well since the 9570 couldn't manage to drive two monitors on that resolution (3840x2160). Had many and long support calls which ended with that Dell Support were going to come back to me with a resolution. They never did. In the meantime I managed the situation by driving one screen via USB C (which also feeds power and Ethernet) and the other one via HDMI. I had to set the refresh rate of the HDMI monitor to 30Hz otherwise the screen would flicker. That wasn't an issue since I work with Office stuff and photos.

I bought a tool to calibrate the colors which worked for some time but suddenly, sometime after summer, the monitors started to differ from the 9570. The tow monitors had much warmer colors than the 9570. Recalibrated and so forth. Didn't work. Then I discovered that Display settings suddenly showed 3 monitors, one disconnected. If this extra screen occured before or after having used Intel Update to update Graphics Command Center from the old Dell version a few weeks ago I dare not to say.

Then came the Windows 11 but that update didn't help. On the contrary I got other issues with the PC, stoped to react, died and so forth. Well, the original Windows install was close to 2 years old so during this week I made a clean re-install of Win 11 on a reformatted HD and had Dell update/SupportAssist to complement that. Still 3 monitors but PC worked well.

Today the USB C monitor suddenly turned black and in Display settings I still had 3 monitors, i.e. not the correct 2, but now with 2 monitors disconnected/disabled. Have tried to restart monitors and PC several times with no luck.

So, what's going on here and how to resolve it? Lower the resolution is not the correct answer since then I have no use of these two, rather expensive, monitors. And it worked well enough for several months. Something else is the culprit, not with the screen but with the PC. Another, slightly newer client PC i tested, can drive both of them at this resolution so it's definitely nothing wrong with the monitors.

57 Posts

November 19th, 2022 04:00

Fully agree with you. It is very odd and I can't really see the connection between a tool that only measures the temp and the regulation of the fans. And, Task Manager's Performance Tab shows the GPU temp of the Nvidia GPU, with or without, HWMonitor (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html). HWMonitor does however show a few other processor temperatures  as well as other statistics. I found it by googling and it was described as good. No more effort or reason I chose that one. Nevertheless, with the tool on the PC works as it should, without not.....

The root could  c o u l d  be that I've done a clean Win 11 install without installing the Dell drivers (except that I tried Dell's Intel video driver which I had to replace as mentioned above). So maybe I'm missing a driver necessary for the temperature regulation but I thought that Win  update and the Intel Update I'm using should take care of that.  

457 Posts

November 19th, 2022 05:00

Yeah, if you're missing drivers that could be an issue. Does device manager should any obvious ones missing, you could also use Dell tools to install missing drivers. In the BIOS, there also could be fan options. On my 9320 there are four modes "Optimized, Ultra Performance, Cool, Quiet" which you also can adjust while in Windows.

57 Posts

November 19th, 2022 05:00

Device Manager is "green" and under System devices I can also find "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Generic Participant", its "Manager" and "Processor Participant". Neither Windows', Dell's, nor Intel's automatic update processes show any missing driver. I'll have a look at the BIOS settings even though I doubt that would be an issue, have never had to adjust anything there before. I don't think I've seen any Windows setting for the fans, only for the video which I have set to best performance as written above.

57 Posts

November 19th, 2022 14:00

Regarding "Task Manager's Performance Tab shows the GPU temp of the Nvidia GPU" which I wrote in one of my comments above. Yes, Task manager shows the Nvidia GPU temp but just having Task manager open didn't, and doesn't, help. Only HWMonitor does. If there are other tools, similar to HWMonitor, that would have the same positive effect on the fan and cooling behaviour I don't know. Haven't, and won't, spend time on testing that. I hope that Dell will come up with a real solution.

It can also be noted that my 9570, before the clean Win 11 install, was one of those which had its fan starting to "pump" from time to time when it was idling. Seen a lot of postings around that on the net. Pressing a button, waking it up, stopped the pumping. If I do a HW test nothing comes up.

No Events found!