Start a Conversation

Unsolved

HN

16 Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

PLEASE ALLOW MORE SETTINGS FOR THE THROTTLING ISSUE

Hi guys. Like most of you with an XPS I have stupid throttling issues when trying to anything hardware intensive.

My solution was to disable "certain" devices in the Device Manager to only allow hardware throttling, and it works with no issue.

I do this waiting patiently for the day that this issue is resolved.

Whenever the "self-check" software notices it re-enables them. Frankly, I'm tired of having to disable devices in order to have reasonable performance.

This is unacceptable.

I should be able to have EXPLICIT control over the behavior of my computer. PLEASE let me choose a "safe" higher temperature than that which the software begins to throttle! PLEASE.

throttling.png

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

There's a good thread below on the subject. Bottom line: thin and light designs will throttle back to prevent overheating. If you need to run heavy workloads, buy a system suitable for running them (i.e., a full size notebook with a large heatsink). https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6xfctp/thermal_throttling_of_ultralight_i7_cpus/

24 Posts

October 18th, 2018 22:00

Patch the VRMs with thermal pads, change the CPU and GPU thermal grease and you won't have any throttle issue anymore.

44371633_543594379432886_6781381343201722368_n.jpg

16 Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

Here's the thing though, This throttling continued until (and often triggers at only) 50c.

When I disable certain software, the temp never exceeds ~77c and doesn't trigger the hardware to throttle. (~87-90c I believe?)

Granted, this is "uncomfortable" for legs; however, I would much rather be able to explicitly disable any non-essential throttling through supported means, much like the "Performance" settings should allow.

If I wanted my laptop to run cooler at the expense of speed, I would choose that power setting myself. Currently this behavior is forced on me, and the seeming multitude of others who feel my plight.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 19th, 2018 09:00

Dell has responsibility for the warranty on the system - meaning they don't want it running hotter.  For every degree temperature increase, the lifespan of the components in the system decreases.  

No Events found!