Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2021 02:00

Performance Upgrade options for XPS 9550

Have a XPS (9550) that I would like to know if its worth upgrading. I am having some issues running Serifs Affinity Publisher software.

My System:

XPS15 (9550)

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2600.0 MHz

Motherboard Model: DELL 0Y9N5X
Motherboard Chipset: Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)

BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends
BIOS Date: 02/13/2020
BIOS Version: 1.14.0

RAM: 16 GB
Memory Type: DDR4 SDRAM
Module Type: SO-DIMM
Memory Speed: 1066.7 MHz (DDR4-2133 / PC4-17000)
Module Manufacturer: SK Hynix

Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake-H GT2) [S0/R0] [DELL]

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M [DELL]

Drive Model: LITEON CS1-SP32-11 M.2 2242 32GB
Drive Capacity: (32 GB)
Media Rotation Rate: SSD Drive (Non-rotating)

Drive Model: WDC WD10SPCX-75KHST0
Drive Capacity: 1TB
Media Rotation Rate: 5400 RPM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19042.1052 (20H2)

OK so I learnt a little about how the system has been set up but I'm still unsure where I should be upgrading.

1. I have 16 GB of RAM so my understanding is this should be sufficient for most tasks. Physically replacing is simple but I need to be aware of certain limits imposed by the BIOS. Not feeling that upgrading to 32GB would give me the best bang for my buck.
  2. Replacing the 1TB HD with a SSD would give me a speed increase and would be quite a simple task. I have Acronis so could clone and replace relatively easily. Would this be a good option and recommendations welcome. I could always reuse the new drive when the laptop fails in and enclosure etc.
  3. Replacing the 32GB SSD Drive. My understanding is that this is used like a cache in RAID. Does that mean there are no files stored on this and I can simply replace without any cloning? It is not listed as a source on the Acronis software under clone. If I don't make any changes to the raid config is there any value in placing a larger sized SSD M.2 Drive. Again some people have had issues with the Samsung 970 EVO but maybe these have been addressed with BIOS updates. Again could reuse when laptop fails.

So any advice on what to replace first with what?

Not sure I want to go down the road of changing from the RAID configuration as appears quite involved but possibility later.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

June 17th, 2021 03:00

You will need to:

1.  Disable the IRST cache drive.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000147648/intel-smart-response-technology-configuration

2.  Switch the system to AHCI mode.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Convert-from-RAID-Bios-Setting-to-AHCI-Bios-setting-without/td-p/7379330

3.  Image the system using something like Macrium Reflect to an external drive.

4.  Remove the 32G drive AND the hard drive.  Install the new SSD.

5.  Image the system back to the new drive.

6.  Once the system is booted, if you want to use the hard drive for storage, you can reconnect it to the system.  You must not, however, boot the system with both the new and old drives installed at the same time until the system has completed a boot cycle with only the new one installed at least once.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

June 16th, 2021 03:00

Replace the 32 G SSD with a 512G or 1T unit and install Windows onto it. 

You can keep the hard drive for storage if you wish.  That is the single best upgrade for performance you can make.

17 Posts

June 16th, 2021 22:00

Thanks for prompt reply.

OK if I replace the current 32 GB SSD with something like the Samsung 970 EVO I will get the best performance increase.

What I don't understand is:

Does the original 32 GB SSD drive have files on it that need to be cloned to the new SSD (970 EVO?) or is it simply a case of dropping in the new one. This drive doesn't show up in the file manager or in Acronis. Does it have system files on it.

Do I need to change from the current RAID setup to AHCI

What is the order the changes need to be made?

17 Posts

June 16th, 2021 23:00

Found this post from someone in similar position but no resolution posted.

Upgrade SSD: Dell XPS 15 9550 1000GB HDD 32 GB SSD
Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 1000GB HDD 32 GB SSD and want to upgrade the SSD which is currently only used for cache from what I know. I bought the Samsung 970 Pro NVM m.2 port. I plugged it in where the 32 gb ssd used to be but windows doesn`t recognise it. The device-manager recognices it but I can`t use it. I think I need AHCI mode in the bios instead of the current raid on. But I`ve heard there can be problems with just switching it. I wanted to just use Samsung Data Migration to copy the OS from the HDD to the SSD. Now is this even possible or sensible with my hardware set up? Can I mabye just change from Raid to AHCI or do I need to install windows new on the ssd?

1 Message

January 2nd, 2022 14:00

I had a similar issue with my XPS 15 9550  i5 which for some reason a Dell update disabled the IRST controlled 32Gb cache so I removed the M.2 SSD and replaced with a Crucial P5 1GB SSD ePCI 4 also after taking out the 1GB HD. After a clean install the difference in perfomance was amazing even without a 16GB memory upgrade. Onedrive syncing now runs at the max broadband speed (20Mb/2Mb rural microwave broadband ) and the processor < 5% and memory usage < 3Gb. Formatted and reinstalled the old HD as extra archive storage which then allowed high speed transfers (75Mb/s from an external USB 3.0 drive).

Points to assist were:

1.Backed up critical apps and docs both on  external USB drive and 200GB of pictures/videos to Onedrive online.

2. Disable the M.2 Cache SSD to flush out files unless like me you already have is disabled.

3. Dont clone the old system HD onto the new SSD as you inherit all the Dell extras.

4. A windows (not dell win version) fresh install took 20 minutes then 5 security updates took another 20mins.Can always install Dell Support utilities afterwards.

5. Installed required apps and removed MS utils not required before running a optimise/defrag

6. Onedrive online content just re-enabled online. Sync changes now run at broadband speed.

7. Firefox after a base install just resynced bookmarks and logins with another device or use Mozbackup.

8. Inserting the old drive after rebooting to the new SSD but before formatting caused a autorepair so made sure the new SSD was before the old HD in the Bios boot order. Then formatted the old HD.

I have now got my better than new 5year old XPS back.

17 Posts

September 5th, 2022 05:00

Thanks Daleview for this post. Going to repeat what you have done and hopefully be as pleased with the results as you.

17 Posts

September 7th, 2022 07:00

Fallen at the first hurdle trying to replicate Daleview. Anyone know why I don't have the "Accelerate" button on Intels Rapid Storage App.Screenshot (36).png

17 Posts

September 7th, 2022 08:00

Found the solution to missing disable acceleration option. Intel removed it after version 15.7.

Downgrade the Intel Rapid Storage Manager by uninstalling and reinstalling version below 16. to restore this option.

No Events found!