Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

March 17th, 2022 10:00

Pre-installed Ubuntu

Hello. Do Dell XPS'es (let's say 9500) that come with Ubuntu preinstalled come with custom Linux kernels? Or are they generic, like I would get by downloading ubuntu installation from ubuntu.com?

I am running into some issues that the fix may come down to the Kernel (I saw some people posting kernel patches, but running other people's kernels does not sound safe to me), so I'm interested: would it be possible to get the Ubuntu ISO files that are installed on pre-installed XPS laptops?

I tried recovery thing, but since my laptop came with Windows, it only provides with Windows recovery ISO.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 17th, 2022 10:00

Hello, we see you are looking for assistance. If you need our help, you could start a direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

2 Posts

March 17th, 2022 12:00

Maybe you know if those Linux ISOs are connected to service tags? What if I brute-forced service tag and downloaded the Linux ISO, would it work?

5.6K Posts

March 17th, 2022 12:00

@katilas wrote:

Hello. Do Dell XPS'es (let's say 9500) that come with Ubuntu preinstalled come with custom Linux kernels? Or are they generic, like I would get by downloading ubuntu installation from ubuntu.com?

I am running into some issues that the fix may come down to the Kernel (I saw some people posting kernel patches, but running other people's kernels does not sound safe to me), so I'm interested: would it be possible to get the Ubuntu ISO files that are installed on pre-installed XPS laptops?

I tried recovery thing, but since my laptop came with Windows, it only provides with Windows recovery ISO.

No. You cannot get Dell's Linux ISO.  It is based on your Service Tag #.

81 Posts

March 17th, 2022 15:00

FYI: I have 9300 that originally came with Windows, which I immediately wiped out and installed generic Ubuntu. It's been working just fine for about two years now. If you able to find out the specifics of the hardware components used in your laptop, you should be able to check if they are supported by the generic kernels.

No Events found!