Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2018 09:00

Precision 5510 & Dock resolution poroblem

I have a Precision 5510 connected to a dock.  I have two monitors connected to the dock: 

Dell S2440L - Connected to DisplayPort

HP Pavillion 32 - Connected to HDMI

Both monitors are working fine, but the HP monitor should allow a resolution of 2560x1440 but only goes up to 1920x1080.  This monitor does work at 2560x1440 on another computer so I know it does support that resolution.

I have updated all the drivers with no effect.

Update: If I connect the HP monitor directly to the laptop rather than through the dock, I am able to set it to 2560x1440, so it seems it's just the dock that is the problem.  However, the documentation for the dock says that it should support this resolution

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 16th, 2018 10:00

What dock model are you using?  It's likely that the dock you're using connects to the system in a way that only provides enough bandwidth for 2x 1080p displays.  The Dell WD15 USB-C dock works that way, and this limit is mentioned on the product page and its documentation.  It will support up to 2560x1600, but not when you are ALSO trying use a 1080p display, as indicated by the Display Resolution Table on the last page of the documentation. If that's what you're using, then since you're using a Precision 5510, you could replace it with a TB16 dock instead -- make sure you get the version with the 240W adapter since you have a 5510.  Since that dock uses Thunderbolt rather than regular USB-C like the WD15, it gets 4x the display bandwidth that's available to the WD15, and consequently the TB16 can handle up to dual 4K displays at 60 Hz and even some triple display configurations.

The other possibility is that the HDMI port on the dock only supports an older standard that goes up to 1080p, whereas the HDMI port on your laptop supports a newer standard.  If that's the case, if the display inputs allow it, try connecting the HP display via DisplayPort (which has supported higher resolution since the beginning) and the Dell display via HDMI (since that display only supports 1080p).

3 Posts

March 16th, 2018 11:00

You're right, I was looking at the wrong documentation for the dock.  I do have to WD15 which works as you described.  Thanks for clearing that up.

No Events found!