rh310
2 Iron

Precision 7730 M.2 primary slot, metal shards

I've only opened the unit for inspection and found some odd metal shards around one of the screws holding the primary M.2 container in place.  I'm not sure what to think.  I don't know if something was secured here and torn away or just how the shards came to be.  I don't know if somethings missing or someone just got careless during assembly.  The service manual doesn't show anything metal being secured by this screw.  Anyone have any ideas?

metal shards.jpg

2 Replies
Highlighted
JOcean
5 Rhenium

Re: Precision 7730 M.2 primary slot, metal shards

The picture will be visible once approved by a moderator. Any metal on the motherboard is not a good idea. Have you contacted Dell tech support? Is the system running properly? Does the screw seem to be cross threaded as that is the only way I could see metal near the M.2 post?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
Highlighted
rh310
2 Iron

Re: Precision 7730 M.2 primary slot, metal shards

I called Dell support after posting and shared the picture with them.  After closer examination I could see that the metal extended into the casing - out of view.  At this point I had only just removed the battery cover and not powered the unit on - was just delivered a few hours earlier.  The screw head was in perfect condition.  They asked me to remove the screw and examine it.  The screw fits into a brass looking fitting that's molded into the casing.  It looks like maybe the metal is some grounding strap coming from beneath the case and being secured by that screw.  How the metal became so twisted without any imperfections on the screw head or any signs of it being stripped is a mystery.  The metal - as torn - has the consistency of very strong tin foil.  

They offered either repair or exchange and I opted for exchange.  Thinking that maybe other parts of this computer might have been assembled by the same person.  You never know for sure though.  But, that's the path I took.

There have obviously been design changes since the service manual was printed.  The mount for the M.2 SSD (primary) in this unit is different.  Though the original screw holes used by the other mount are still present - just unused.