discosultan
1 Nickel

Re: Problems after Windows 10 April Update - Black Screen

I couldn't figure out how to send a PM. Anyway, my service tag is <Service tag removed>.

Thanks for looking into the issue!

0 Kudos
wirehack7
1 Nickel

0 Kudos
zifo_renato
1 Nickel

I'm having the same issue here.

Performed a Factory Recover using USB Recovery Media and run all the drivers and Windows updates.

XPS 15 9560 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB - 512 NVMe Samsung PM961 - 4K monitor

Windows 10 Home 1803

BIOS 1.9.4

Intel HD Graphics 630 23.20.16.4973

NVIDIA GTX 1050 24.21.13.9811

THE POWER CORD BEEN CONNECTED MATTERS!!! YES, IT IS VERY BIZARRE!!!

Scenario #1 - WITHOUT the power cord connected (battery only), I boot the system and Dell's bright logo pops on. Few seconds later, the Windows login screen is presented. Mouse works, keyboard works, screen looks great. Any of the three authentications methods works: typing Password, typing PIN or fingerprint reader. After 2-3 seconds, the desktop appears and 20 seconds later the laptop is ready. I can use it on battery power or reconnecting the power cord, it doesn’t matter anymore. The battery charges normally.

Scenario #2 - WITH the power cord connected (the original 14 months old that came in the box), everything goes the same until I authenticate. Sometimes I get a black screen where nothing works but the mouse with some “loading circle” on it. Some other times the “loading” after login freezes and nothing works. Sometimes the desktop pops and I can briefly do something, but it gets to the same black screen again.

I’ve verified the power options to see if there is a different setting between Battery or A/C Power and they are exactly the same.

Once Windows works after a crash, it shows a “Failed to initialize display driver” notification.

Have tried remove both Intel and NVIDIA drivers, didn´t work. Have tried to update them both to the latest version, didn’t work.

It’s very frustrating deal with this kind of issue in a $1600+ device that was supposed to deliver a premium experience, especially because it’s a recurrent problem with graphic card.

Once again, here I am spending my precious time troubleshooting my system and crawling thru support posts. I won’t recommend Dell’s XPS laptops anymore.

Hyti
1 Copper

Finally decided to perform the update and am now unable to work as I am experiencing the exact same issue... 

I can't remember any update that went smoothly on this machine it's quite impressive...

Tried a couple variation while starting up too and it seems that having HDMI and/or power cord have their impact

praveeena_
1 Copper

I had the same issue for some days now! Rolling back my current integrated graphics driver to previous Intel Driver Version 22.20.16.4836 (Driver Date: 10/17/2017) fixed it for me for some reason.

Regards,

Praveena.

0 Kudos
Rob726
1 Copper

StevenKipping
1 Nickel

Hey Rob glad you found a fix. Now does anyone know of a similar resolution for the Intel Iris Graphics 540 display adapter? Come on Dell; with exponentially numerous other users experiencing the exact same problem, please - FIX THIS.

0 Kudos
JerzyBoy
1 Copper

I'm experiencing the same issues with 5 Dell Inspiron PCs. After log in I get a black screen and why mouse pointer and thats it. Not sure if the Windows 10 April update is related but it seems likely based no what I have read here. 

The wsappx / AppX Deployment Services is consuming most of the CPU/Disk. I can't restart that service. Help 

Dell Inc. Inspiron 3668
S/N D0WD9N2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00GHz, 1024KB Level 2 cache
1.8.0 DELL - 1072009
8,192 MB RAM
TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 931.51GB IDE

I also updated to the latest BIOS Firmware and Video card using SupportAssist. 

0 Kudos
rfebbo
1 Nickel

Having the same issue here. Except I can't get past the Dell logo and windows loading animation. Power cord connected or not. I'm having trouble even getting into the BIOs... I just updated my Intel graphics to 1.23.something and a couple other Intel drivers via SupportAssist because it kept bothering me to update. 

Dell, do you test drivers on machines before pushing them? Seriously. I've had too many crippling issues after updates with this machine since I got it .

QISHIdark
1 Copper

have you tried roll back the gforce experience driver?

0 Kudos