Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

35 Posts

March 28th, 2019 17:00

Re: XPS 15-9550, 3rd party 32GB RAM issue booting

I am trying to extend the memory of dell xps 15 9550 to 32 GB and it is impossible to test with 3 types, it only supports one of 16 GB and an original of 8 GB

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 02:00

@Chemagc wrote:

I am trying to extend the memory of dell xps 15 9550 to 32 GB and it is impossible to test with 3 types, it only supports one of 16 GB and an original of 8 GB

Hi @Chemagc Im not sure I understand your question, the system has two memory slots and supports a maximum of 32GB across the two slots running a maximum speed of 2133 MHz.

What do you mean by "it is impossible to test with 3 types"?
If you populate the two channels with memory, what capacity shows up in the BIOS?

Alan

35 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 12:00

I explain the problems I have to expand from 16 gb ram to 32 gb in my xps 15 9550. In the first place, there are no certified memories for this model on the web of dell españa. I have tried the following and all offer stability problems, black and striped screens, as well as do not pass the performance tests:

-G.Skill Ripjaws SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 PC4-17000 16GB CL15

-Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400Mhz PC4-19200 16GB CL16 SODIMM

-Timetec Hynix IC DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL15 1Rx8 Single Rank 260 Pin SODIMM 

So I do not know what else to buy and where, and I have no answer from dell. I would beg you to help me.

IMG_20190328_212355.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 5th, 2019 06:00

@Chemagc were you having problems with the system before you upgraded the memory?

The spec for the 16GB DIMM we offer for the system is as follows -

16GB, SODIMM, 2133MHZ, 1Gx72, Unbuffered, DDR4, 288 Pin, Dual Rank, 1.2V, Non-Error Correction Code

The system should support two of those to give you the 32GB maximum memory capacity. We offer modules in that specification from Hynix, Micron and Samsung.

What happens if you test the memory modules one slot at a time, i.e have only one of those memory modules in slot 1 and power on the system - does it give you the same problems for any of those memory modules?

Repeat that same process but try the memory modules in the 2nd slot - again do you have the same problems?

Then try populating both memory slots, what happens at that point?

Alan

35 Posts

April 5th, 2019 09:00

Hello, there were no problems before the updates or now again with the original memories. I have tried with the three types of memories the following: - One of the new ones in a single bank, either bank 1 or bank 2, error. - One of the new 16 gb plus an original 8 gb hynix, no problem and passes the tests. It does not matter the bank order 1 or 2. -But when the two new ones of 16 are placed, they do not pass the memory tests in bios or when the pc is forced, the black striped screens as in the photo occur. -Because I'm sure it's a compatibility problem because the banks are healthy and everything works correctly with their original 8gb hynyz. The problem is putting 32 GB to work. So what do you think?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 8th, 2019 07:00

@Chemagc wrote:
Hello, there were no problems before the updates or now again with the original memories. I have tried with the three types of memories the following: - One of the new ones in a single bank, either bank 1 or bank 2, error. - One of the new 16 gb plus an original 8 gb hynix, no problem and passes the tests. It does not matter the bank order 1 or 2. -But when the two new ones of 16 are placed, they do not pass the memory tests in bios or when the pc is forced, the black striped screens as in the photo occur. -Because I'm sure it's a compatibility problem because the banks are healthy and everything works correctly with their original 8gb hynyz. The problem is putting 32 GB to work. So what do you think?

If there are no issues with the original memory modules, it's an incompatibility issue. We can't guarantee what 3rd party memory will work in the system. I'm wondering if the issue is with you using mismatched memory modules. They should be in identical pairs. 

Are you running the latest BIOS revision on the system?

Alan

1 Message

April 9th, 2019 10:00

I had the exact same issue. First I tried with a pair of Corsair Vengance CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16, it worked but then the color stripes video issue. Then with a pair of Crucial Ballistix Sport, machine didn't even boot anymore. This is very frustrating, and very money and time consuming, I'm really disappointed with Dell on this laptop...

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 11th, 2019 01:00

@juan_tula wrote:
I had the exact same issue. First I tried with a pair of Corsair Vengance CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16, it worked but then the color stripes video issue. Then with a pair of Crucial Ballistix Sport, machine didn't even boot anymore. This is very frustrating, and very money and time consuming, I'm really disappointed with Dell on this laptop...

Hi @juan_tula 

I understand your frustrations, however we cannot guarantee compatibility of 3rd party memory on this system. Please refer to my post above where I listed the specifications of the memory that we recommend for this system.

Alan

35 Posts

April 11th, 2019 11:00

I have the whole system updated in addition to bios. Interestingly working with pairs is when it fails except the original Hynyx

35 Posts

April 11th, 2019 11:00

Alan the most frustrating is not that you can ensure the compatibility of third parties, but Dell does not offer any assistance and not on the web, in the Spain, at least there is for this model certified memories, this is the most frustrating for me and what will make me think about buying back products of this brand, a pity because the performance is exceptional, but very dissatisfied with the attention, which refers us to community forum that are not even from our country.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 12th, 2019 07:00

@Chemagc wrote:

Alan the most frustrating is not that you can ensure the compatibility of third parties, but Dell does not offer any assistance and not on the web, in the Spain, at least there is for this model certified memories, this is the most frustrating for me and what will make me think about buying back products of this brand, a pity because the performance is exceptional, but very dissatisfied with the attention, which refers us to community forum that are not even from our country.

I think it needs to be matched pairs and the speed not exceeding 2300MHz. There may be an issue with the clock timings of the memory you are using which doesn't work with those the motherboard supports.

With regards to Spanish language support, there are multiple options available depending on what platform you want to use i.e Twitter @DellAyudaPRO telephone support or via the Spanish language DCF forum - 

https://www.dell.com/community/Comunidad-Dell/ct-p/Spanish

If you post publicly in English, we will provide an English language response in return. If you would prefer Spanish language support, if you posted in Spanish it would have been moved to the Spanish support section by myself or one of the other moderators. 

I hope this helps.

Alan

3 Posts

July 19th, 2019 20:00

I had the exact same problem with two of HyperX Impact 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 CL14 (HX424S14IB2/8). Dell diagnostics fails and shows the same picture and so does the MemTest86 memory diagnostics (at Test 6, i.e. block move 64B...).

I contacted Dell Malaysia to provide me un upgrade but they told me they don't have the parts anymore, so I had to go for 3rd party vendors without knowing about the compatibility issue. Not to mention, Dell does not have a list of a compatible RAM for Dell 9550 laptop, at least not in the Malaysian website. This is really frustrating, I don't know what to do with the RAM that I bought.

If anyone could clearly provide me the supported RAMs (e.g. 2x8GB), a link of the RAM would be nice or at least brand & model id. I don't want to end up buying unsupported RAM again

No Events found!