Jelangpan
2 Bronze

Restoring files from SupportAssist backup

Hi,

I recently had to restore my laptop to factory settings, and did a backup using the Dell SupportAssist before the restore.  I then extracted the files that were backed up.  Pretty much all the files were restored except for a few (important ones!).  The thing about the files that were not restored was that they all had ~$ in the file names.  Does anyone know if there is any way of extracting those files or have I lost them forever?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
U2CAMEB4ME
5 Iridium

Re: Restoring files from SupportAssist backup

Welcome to the Dell Community @Jelangpan 

Make sure that "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is enabled.

Hidden Files.PNG

When Microsoft Word opens a file it creates a temporary file.

If I open a file named Test.doc it should create a temporary file named  ~$Test.doc.

It is a temporary backup file, used to recover data if the software crashes or stops unexpectedly.

These backup files are commonly created in the same directory that the original file is in and are usually hidden files.

These files should be automatically deleted after the file or program being used to edit the file is correctly closed.

Best regards,

U2

HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
HP Color LaserJet M553dn 40ppm
Jelangpan
2 Bronze

Thank you for your reply, U2. I have enabled "show hidden files" but still can't see those files. Is there any other way to find those files? Thanks.
0 Kudos
PSDell
2 Bronze

Those files were only temporary storage used by Microsoft Office applications.

The following contains a good description of ~$ files:

~$ is in front of my file name. open it - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos