jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Samsung Pro 970 1TB on RAID mode Installed on my XPS 13

@Saltgrass, that's hardly the first time Dell's specifications have been incomplete/inaccurate.  Even if it were possible to run PCIe SSDs over SATA -- which it emphatically is not -- if the system only had SATA 3 Gbps and SATA 6 Gbps interfaces and ran installed PCIe SSDs over one of those, then those SSDs would max out at 750 MB/s, which is clearly not what's happening with these systems in the real world, regardless of SATA Operation setting.  Just like the XPS 13 9350 and 9360, the Precision 5510 supports PCIe SSDs -- in fact the 5510 has even better support since it doesn't have this inherent bandwidth limitation -- and using Dell's factory default RAID setting does not throttle PCIe SSDs to SATA levels because that setting doesn't cause PCIe to run over SATA.  If you want to keep grasping at straws like incomplete specs, claim in one post that RAID mode causes PCIe SSDs run over a SATA controller and then in the very next post claim that you never said anything about sending NVMe traffic over SATA, and generally ignore the reality of how systems are operating in the real world, all just to avoid acknowledging that you were wrong about something, then you're of course free to do that.  I just would've expected/hoped that someone who's willing to be here to help others would prioritize providing consistently accurate information a bit more highly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SEL7
1 Nickel

Y Rand,

What did you do to install this on the 9360. My current NVMe THNSN5512GPUK NV is almost full. I bought a 970 Pro 1 TB. I brought it to some computer place that was well reviewed to do it as I didn't have the time, tools, or hardware. Paying someone 50 bucks to do it sounded like a better alternative. However they couldn't do it. They told me they were trying to ghost my data to and external drive and tried to bring it back and it would always fail.  

What I wanted done was to clone the drive I have in the comp right now install the new SSD and clone it back.

How did you accomplish this?

Thanks,

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Nitsson
1 Nickel

I too would love to know how. I've got the XPS 139350 and want to get a 970 EVO if possible.

0 Kudos
SEL7
1 Nickel

I bought an external m.2 enclosure and some tools. Then used macrium. It was one of the easier things I have done. Took about an hour for the whole thing. 

0 Kudos
BumboBumbo
1 Copper

I have the same problem. I upgrated the SSD of my Dell XPS 13 9360R Notebook with a Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB and see the same effects. Has anybody feedback from Dell, if the bottleneck is caused by hardware or firmware? If it is by firmware, Dell should provide a solution, because obviously many customers are affected. I will contact the Dell Technical Support in the next days.

0 Kudos
LarryGS
2 Iron

SEL7, what m.2 enclosure did you use. I have yet to fine one that works. Thanks!

0 Kudos