Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2019 03:00

Should I charge my XPS 13 9370 all the time?

Hello Dell Community,

This is my first time here with you guys, looks like the good and helpful advices are coming from here so I decided to take a part of this cool community.

So basically, I'm trying to keep my laptop as much as possible. wasn't cheap at all to buy this version (9370).

Since I almost finished to build up my working station in my room, I was wondering what is the best way to keep my battery from draining or any other issues.

Many things that I've read is: adjust settings in dell power manager and the regular method of discharge when a battery is reaching below 20% and not more than 80%.

Please feel free to explain to me all your experience with dell batteries specific in their laptops.

Thanks

Niv

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 8th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @n1vgabay 

The 80% and 20% is the optimal setting.

Your model is one of the newer ones with a "SMART" battery.

This is why it is very important to use only Dell OEM batteries and AC's.

It uses the SMbus to communicate with the system to maintain battery health.

The one thing is if the "SMART" battery can detect a battery that begins to fail and "SWELL" ???

All lithium-ion polymer "Flat Cell" batteries can "SWELL" 

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 8th, 2019 06:00

@n1vgabay wrote:

Hello Dell Community,

This is my first time here with you guys, looks like the good and helpful advices are coming from here so I decided to take a part of this cool community.

So basically, I'm trying to keep my laptop as much as possible. wasn't cheap at all to buy this version (9370).

Since I almost finished to build up my working station in my room, I was wondering what is the best way to keep my battery from draining or any other issues.

Many things that I've read is: adjust settings in dell power manager and the regular method of discharge when a battery is reaching below 20% and not more than 80%.

Please feel free to explain to me all your experience with dell batteries specific in their laptops.

Thanks

Niv

Hi @n1vgabay thanks for reaching out to the community. Hopefully others will respond in due course, but to give you the official Dell response, most of your battery related questions can be answered with the following article - 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

I hope this helps.

Alan

4 Posts

July 8th, 2019 05:00

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

Welcome to the Dell Community  @n1vgabay 

The 80% and 20% is the optimal setting.

Your model is one of the newer ones with a "SMART" battery.

This is why it is very important to use only Dell OEM batteries and AC's.

It uses the SMbus to communicate with the system to maintain battery health.

The one thing is if the "SMART" battery can detect a battery that begins to fail and "SWELL" ???

All lithium-ion polymer "Flat Cell" batteries can "SWELL" 

Best regards,

U2

Thanks for your reply!

More advices will be more than welcome :) 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 8th, 2019 07:00

@n1vgabay  read the answer I wrote in this thread where someone asked the same question about the XPS 13 9360.  Yes, limiting max charge to 80% and setting minimum charge to around 20-50% is a good way to increase the long-term lifespan of your battery, but of course it means that it will be less convenient to use on a day to day basis.  That's the tradeoff.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

@jphughan wrote:

@n1vgabay  read the answer I wrote in this thread where someone asked the same question about the XPS 13 9360.  Yes, limiting max charge to 80% and setting minimum charge to around 20-50% is a good way to increase the long-term lifespan of your battery, but of course it means that it will be less convenient to use on a day to day basis.  That's the tradeoff.

Thanks for your reply mate.  How do I change BIOS settings carefully to set up this configuration?
What actually "Dell Power Management" do? ("Primarily AC Use" mode).

DELL-Alan D, in Dell's website it saying that this method of charging/discharging it's not relevant anymore in the 'new' batteries which I'm assuming I have one of those.

Please keep sharing all the information you have.  Very helpful.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

@n1vgabay wrote:

@jphughan wrote:

Thanks for your reply mate.  How do I change BIOS settings carefully to set up this configuration?

DELL-Alan D, in Dell's website it saying that this method of charging/discharging it's not relevant anymore in the 'new' batteries which I'm assuming I have one of those.

@n1vgabay that is correct. @jphughan discusses the different chemical make up of the batteries in his referenced post explaining in more detail what the article mentions.

Alan

4 Posts

July 9th, 2019 04:00

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@n1vgabay wrote:

@jphughan wrote:

@n1vgabay that is correct. @jphughan discusses the different chemical make up of the batteries in his referenced post explaining in more detail what the article mentions.

Alan

Can I rely on this dell's power management feature at home?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Dell-Alan D 

I beg to differ on the information in that post as "SMART" batteries is a recent designation and design.

And all batteries are NOT "SMART" batteries.

AC adapters with a "Center Pin" are "SMART" AC's.

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Almost all manufacturers are using "SMART" AC's

Regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

I beg to differ on the information in that post as "SMART" batteries is a recent designation and design.

And all batteries are NOT "SMART" batteries.

AC adapters with a "Center Pin" are "SMART" AC's.

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Almost all manufacturers are using "SMART" AC's

Regards,

U2

@U2CAMEB4ME can you explain why you are disputing the information that has been provided by myself.

The customer has asked does he need to follow the old charge/discharge rules as the article advises Lithium Ion batteries do not need to follow these rules. I advised that this information is correct and is backed up by @jphughan's referenced post explaining why this is.

There is no mention of SMART batteries by myself or the article. 

Alan

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Dell-Alan D 

Second reply.

Most if not all laptops have smart batteries that can keep the battery healthy regardless of how you use it. If you keep it mostly plugged in, I'd check the BIOS under battery settings for a 'Always Plugged In' setting or something similar. Thats what I use on my Inspiron 7577 as I rarely unplug it.

Also the newer "Flat Cell" batteries are  lithium-ion polymer batteries.

Regards,

U2

No Events found!