Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2022 06:00

Space between lid and body on XPS15 9510

Is this space between lid and body by design (see attachment)? I don't have this on an older XPS 15 9550, but I suspect it might be intentional, so want to check if anyone else has seen smth similar or knows if this is an issue or not.

photo_2022-11-29_19-28-05.thumb.jpg.d73acde8a770689c17c3190f3772fbc3.jpgphoto_2022-11-29_19-27-31.thumb.jpg.43537bb7860ef8e34eb11b12640ecc92.jpg

40 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 11:00

Xps.jpgXPS3.jpgI just checked my XPS 15 9510.  Looks exactly the same.  If it's a manufactoring defect then we both have it.  I can compress that small space with two fingers easily.  It certainly doesn't seem to affect function.  I wouldn't have even noticed it if you hadn't brought it up.  Perhaps there is a design reason for it to be that way, but I don't know what that would be.   This laptop has always felt very solidly built IMHO.  I'm very happy with my 9510.  

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 12:00

My hunch, and it is just a hunch is that two things are happening. Either there are rubber bumpers or a rubber seam if you will, that prevents total closure. And the other thought is even with no rubber bumpers or seam, the lid is not closing completely because the keyboard keys would contact the LCD screen and cause marking on the screen.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 21:00

I have the XPS-15 9520 (I think the same body/case).

Mine does not have this anomaly. 

These are UltraBooks, and the Display is rather large (but thin). I always try to open it from the middle or equally from both sides concurrently. Try not to flex it. They are not built to be rugged. They are built to be thin, light, and fast.

40 Posts

December 5th, 2022 10:00

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting if one of the dell engineers or designers would chime in on this.  As I stated above, as far as I'm concerned this is not an issue, but I would like to know if this is designed to be this way and, if so, what the reasoning behind that design is.  I kinda wonder if JOcean, who responded above, is correct when he opines that perhaps it's to keep the laptop keys from contacting and potentially damaging the screen.  Regardless, I'm interested.  Dell people:  what say you?

December 5th, 2022 10:00

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone!

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one with such thing.
I figured it might be intentional (although I fail to see the reason for this, especially since earlier versions of XPS didn't have this "feature"), but wanted to check just in case.

I guess it's not a problem overall. Mine also "closes completely" when I keep pressure on the lid, like on the pic from @StZill . I wonder though if it being constantly "pressed" like this (e.g. in a backpack) would cause some issues down the line. And of course this thing needs additional care, or it will gather so much more dust and dirt while carrying it around in a backpack...

40 Posts

December 5th, 2022 11:00

Another thing I would like to add is that I’m of the firm opinion that my XPS came from Dell this way:  It has not been acquired during my ownership. Most of the time the laptop sits on my desk and it well protected when traveling. Also, its construction is fairly heavy duty and neither the base nor lid flex much at all. And the minimal opening on each side appears perfectly symmetrical which also argues for intentionality.  Hmmm………….

40 Posts

December 5th, 2022 11:00

About 3/4 of the time I use my 9510 as my home pc with a docking station. When I take it portable, I place it in a sleeve before putting it in my backpack. I do it for added protection—-it’s a large investment for me—-and to keep it clean. Works for me. 

December 6th, 2022 09:00

That's my exact experience and impressions as well.

And seeing how others have exactly the same thing, for whatever reasons it may be, it does suggest that this is intentional.

I don't know if I should accept any of the answers as "solution". Just out of curiosity, I would also like to hear something from a Dell rep about this "feature", but I assume that if this is marked as "solved", they will probably just pass it by w/o taking a look?

40 Posts

December 6th, 2022 10:00

Come on, Dell.  I know you monitor this forum as I see periodic posts by your people offering help and requesting service tags.  How about some good old fashioned public relations by answering Sergio and my question:  Is the gap shown in our post pictures intentional product design or not?  Also, are there any other 9510 users out there besides Sergio and I that have noticed the same thing with their XPS laptops and would be interested in having this question answered?  I grant that this is not an earthshaking issue, but is certainly of interest to at least two dell owners. These are expensive, high quality machines and it's a legitimate question as to whether this is intentional design for some unascertained reason or whether the manufacturing process results in slight variations from machine to machine.  If it is intentional, I for one would like to know the reasoning behind the design. Either way, I am happy thus far with my 9510.

December 6th, 2022 11:00

I also posted the same question in a DellXPS subreddit (link if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/zanvc2/space_between_lid_and_body_on_xps15_9510/ ), and some users replied that they have a similar design on their 9x00 and 9x20 models.

I'll give it a few days for someone from Dell to "notice" this thread, and else will mark your first answer as a solution.

40 Posts

December 6th, 2022 16:00

Thanks for the subreddit link. The responses are interesting:  seem to indicate intentionality in the design. 

40 Posts

December 11th, 2022 15:00

2082CFDB-D0E6-4FBC-BCCA-004A5B858975.jpeg

 I found this recent statement from a different computer manufacturer concerning the “gap”.  I did the suggested test with 4 sheets of paper:  they would not fit into the gap on my machine.  Another suggestion that this is not an issue. 

December 12th, 2022 08:00

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

No Events found!