Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

5 Posts

May 27th, 2022 05:00

Spacebar Intermittent Issue - XPS 15 9500

Hello,

Looking for assistance with a recent issue.   My spacebar (specifically the right side) is intermittently registering clicks and not putting a space often when I type.  The left side does not appear to have the same issue.

Is it possible something is stuck/not aligned (I do not hear anything off)?  Can this be solved by replacing the key or would the entire keyboard have to be replaced?

Laptop specs are below:

XPS 15 9500
Windows 10 Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32GB Memory
1TB SSD
Touch

Thanks!

87 Posts

June 17th, 2022 07:00

More than likely the keyboard will need to be replaced. You should contact Dell Support and initiate replacement.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2022 08:00

Thanks for the reply - this is just out of warranty so would likely be out of pocket.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 17th, 2022 13:00

This system requires that the entire palmrest assembly be replaced -- neither the keyboard nor the individual keys is separately replaceable.  While the part is not overly expensive (see below), the entire system needs to be disassembled to replace it, as everything inside the system is attached to the palmrest assembly.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=1437&refine=keyboard

Service manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-15-9500-laptop/docs

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 17th, 2022 23:00

I would rather buy a good quality mechanical keyboard in that price, instead of opening entire computer

Try a compressed can of air, you may be right something is stuck below there

5 Posts

June 18th, 2022 16:00

I typically only use the keyboard on the laptop when I am internet surfing/posting so hopefully I can live with it.  

For work, I have a doc and a full size keyboard.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2022 16:00

Yikes!  Thanks for the additional info.

What's interesting is it seems to only happen intermittently.  Like as I am replying to this it is working fine.

I would be afraid I would brick this expensive laptop if I took the entire thing apart (but have been known to risk such things lol).

Thank you very much for the info - if it gets that bad I may look into doing it myself.

No Events found!