Studio 1737, Internal and External monitors

Jump to solution

Hi everyone / anyone. I'm hoping that this forum / board is still active because this is going to be in regards to a Studio 1737 running Windows 7 Service Pack 1, so I do recognize that I'm talking about a real relic here.  Hopefully this post makes sense to someone, not sure how clearly I'm explaining things.

I keep this laptop - with lid closed -  tucked up under an external monitor - and with a bunch of papers and notes usually sitting on the closed lid. I like this a lot, and particularly because the on/off switch can be pressed without having to open the lid (which would mean sliding it out from under the monitor, and removing the junk that's on the of the lid) just to do a power off / power on.

My problem is that when I do a power on, the external monitor does not duplicate (or shadow) the internal monitor until I open the lid and then close it.  At that point, the external monitor comes to life and I can get back to working with the lid closed, my junk on top of it, and an external keyboard.

So, here's the question ... is there a setting somewhere that will allow the system to power on, boot up, and display on the external monitor without me having to do that open/close routine to the lid?  If there is such a setting where might it be hiding?

I'm almost certain I've seen other laptops (not necessarily Dell) with various versions of Windows on them do what I'd like --- basically do everything on the external monitor beginning with system power on (of course, the monitor is also powered on) and ending (obviously) when system is powered down. 

I get to the Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display -> Screen Resolution easily, and this is where I've seen on other computers, the system recognizes multiple monitors, can identify which is which (superimposes a 1, or a 2 over whatever's on screen on each display) but it also states no other display located.

So, as I sit here right now ... the external monitor is powered on, the laptop lid is closed, the monitor is identified as display 1, and there is no 2nd display identified (I'd expect that the system LCD would be identified as 1, and the external as 2, but as I said, there's no recognition of any 2nd monitor.

So, anyone know if I'm missing something here, or what it is, whether it's software, hardware, or both?   It's not the end of my world if I can't get it to work the way I'd like, but it would sure be nice if it did.

Oh, and the external monitor has a DVI port, while the laptop has an HDMI port.  So what I have is a DVI - HDMI converter installed ... the HDMI end of the converter is plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop, a DVI cable comes out of the other side of the converter and is then connected to the DVI port on the monitor.   And it displays a VERY nice image on that external monitor ... really I should just stop and be happy with this, and I am.

I just don't want to have to take all the stuff off the closed lid whenever I power on just so I can convince the system to switch from the internal LCD to the external monitor ... is that asking too much?

Thanks ... Phil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Internal and External monitors

Jump to solution

OMG.  I just now figured it out.  Can't believe I didn't see this earlier.   

That Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display -> Screen Resolution panel ... where you can tell it to identify which display is which ... well ... there's a selection there that gives you the ability to Connect to a projector!

And that's the solution.  Select that "Connect to a projector" and then hit the apply button and that's all you need.  The system now happily displays on both the internal LCD AND the external monitor at the same time.   I don't know why, up till now, it didn't occur to me to treat the external monitor as a de-facto projector, but by gosh ... it works!!!

Y'all have no idea how proud I am of myself for figuring that out, and how **happy** I am that it's now doing what I wanted all along!!

Isn't science wonderful!

Thank you, one and all, who read this and already knew the answer ... y'all are great.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Internal and External monitors

Jump to solution

OMG.  I just now figured it out.  Can't believe I didn't see this earlier.   

That Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display -> Screen Resolution panel ... where you can tell it to identify which display is which ... well ... there's a selection there that gives you the ability to Connect to a projector!

And that's the solution.  Select that "Connect to a projector" and then hit the apply button and that's all you need.  The system now happily displays on both the internal LCD AND the external monitor at the same time.   I don't know why, up till now, it didn't occur to me to treat the external monitor as a de-facto projector, but by gosh ... it works!!!

Y'all have no idea how proud I am of myself for figuring that out, and how **happy** I am that it's now doing what I wanted all along!!

Isn't science wonderful!

Thank you, one and all, who read this and already knew the answer ... y'all are great.

View solution in original post