Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2022 07:00

SupportAssist OS Recovery doesn't work

Hi All, 

I just had a very interesting interaction with support over my 2021 XPS 13 9310. It seems that Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery no longer functions as originally designed.

I had completely "flattened" the Micron 2300 512GB NVMe that came with the laptop to put Ubuntu on it as an experiment. When I attempted to flatten it again to put Windows 11 back on it using an SAOS USB stick, I found that rather then attempt to use the image on the USB stick, SAOS forced a "cloud download", and promptly failed at the OS validation/download step. Rather than explain why this was occurring, Support sent out a Technician with a new SSD, and it was replaced with one that was pre-imaged.  Now, although this is great, and gets me the recovery partition back, it doesn't really answer the initial question of why the service offered by Dell no longer functions as expected. 

Has anyone else experienced this challenge, and if so, were you able to overcome it, and how?  Yes, I do have another USB stick with Windows 11 that I created using the Microsoft Media Creation tool, and it works perfectly fine, but it won't get me the original, Dell Recovery partition back. 

Thanks much, 

Laurence M. Schwarz

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 19th, 2022 22:00

The image created Microsoft media creation tool will always have the latest the OS build, plus it won't all the Dell Bloatware which comes with Factory image so a smart choice. 

You will see decrease in RAM usages while IDLE

• 

25K Posts

June 17th, 2022 13:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 17th, 2022 23:00

There are ongoing issues with Cloud download feature of USB as well SA OS recovery tool, there are multiple threads on this Forum for the same, hope Dell fixes them soon. 

Until that's done. Create a system image backup instead. 

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/we-are-currently-unable-to-connect-to-the-backend-please-check/m-p/8208276#M98767

4 Posts

June 18th, 2022 10:00

Hi XPS_Man,

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply.  OK.  That's exactly what I was looking for; confirmation that it isn't just me.  When you say "Create a system image backup instead", are you referring to the use of the disk cloning feature in the BIOS?  Support was shall we say "less than forthright" in their admission of knowledge of any issues on said backend.  I have a strong suspicion this has to do with the CVE that was found last year.  They're sending me a USB stick with the factory image on it as an alternative solution.

Thanks much,

Laurence

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 18th, 2022 14:00

WINDOWS IMAGE BACKUP

4 Posts

June 19th, 2022 15:00

Yeah, I actually have a USB stick that I made from the Microsoft site using the Windows Media Creator.  I'm basically at the point where I'm realizing that there really isn't any advantage to the "factory" image.  As long as I'm able to install SupportAssist for driver downloads, etc. it's fine.  There isn't any real difference.

Thanks again,

Laurence

4 Posts

June 24th, 2022 11:00

I agree.  Why offer a cloud recovery solution that doesn't work?  As I just explained to the Dell support manager, this is EXACTLY why people go to Apple.  Sure, you pay through the nose for their support, but it works.  I know I'm "splitting hairs" here, but it's irritating to spend over $1,000 for a product where the manufacturer clearly doesn't care about their customers.  These guys sent me what they claimed to be was a USB stick with the recovery image on it?  It was just an SAOS stick, and it didn't even work due to it not having the proper WiFi drivers.  Besides, it wasn't anything different than I had created myself.  

No Events found!