Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

October 14th, 2018 02:00

TB16 (180w) not charging my XPS 13 9360

My tb16(180w) doesn't charge my xps 13 unless I start/restart the laptop and enter bios setting then exit while the dock still connected. Only then does it charges my laptop. If I disconnect the dock then reconnect, the dock doesn't charge my laptop again. It just says that the power supplied is not sufficient.

My drivers and BIOS are up to date. Any idea why this happens? I don't see how entering the BIOS setting from the start up makes a difference but it does work.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 14th, 2018 06:00

There’s a firmware update for the TB16 itself, as well as a firmware update for the XPS 13’s TB3 controller that’s separate from the BIOS update. As a last resort, I know this sounds odd, but try reinstalling the same BIOS update. On my wife’s XPS 13 I updated her BIOS and it said everything was successful. A while later she noticed that when she put her system to sleep, it actually cut power to the entire system like a forced shutdown. This wasn’t noticed until later, so I didn’t immediately think of the BIOS update. I was about to do a fresh Windows install when I decided to try reflashing the same BIOS version first. I said there’s no way it will work but may as well try it before settling in for a whole rebuild given that it’s quick. The reflash fixed the problem.

Also, what happens when you connect the TB16 while the system is fully shut down? It should charge in that situation too (assuming the battery isn’t full, of course), and the light on the connector should light up.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2018 11:00

The firmware of the TB16 is definitely up to date as well as the BIOS. I'm not sure about the  firmware update for the XPS 13’s TB3 controller which you have mentioned. Any idea where I can find out more about this? I'll try this one first before reflashing the BIOS update.

it still doesn't charge when I connect the tb16 on my xps 13 when it is shut down. The only time it charges my laptop is when I enter BIOS on the start up while the tb16 is connected.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 14th, 2018 12:00

You can find it on support.dell.com. I recommend manually choosing your model rather than entering your Service Tag since sometimes the latter can hide updates that apply to you. I’ve included the direct link to the update below though. I’m admittedly not optimistic this will work since charging is just a USB Power Delivery function rather than a Thunderbolt function, but it’s worth a shot.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=4FC9M&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9360-laptop

No Events found!