Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 01:00

XPS 13 9380, TB16 USB not working, Thunderbolt Control Center stuck in store

So, first the dock worked normally, but the mouse and keyboard sometimes got stuck and didn't respond for a couple seconds. So I did a firmware update (on dock and laptop, both finishing successfully), and then the dock's USB didn't recognize the mouse and keyboard.

Then, it happened exactly the same problem as this. So basically I'm stuck with no dock and no way to download the application.

How can I solve this?

9.4K Posts

April 19th, 2019 06:00

Hi rmaldona,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your TB16 is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the XPS 9380 support site that addresses this situation:

Update to TB16 firmware version 1.0.2 or a later version on your Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16, before upgrading to BIOS version 1.2.1 or later versions.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 19th, 2019 08:00

In case you did not notice, the firmware being referenced may be only on the support site for the TB 16.  It is not the same as the firmware on the 9380 site..

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16/drivers

It is very important to have the ASmedia USB drivers installed correctly.  There is also a driver on the TB16 site for ASmedia.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 21st, 2019 21:00

It is a little strange but the ASMedia USB drivers on the system download site are 1.16.54.1.  The driver actually installed on my system is 1.16.55.1 so maybe the driver on the TB 16 download site is the later download.

Software Package version 17.3.73.350

Application version   17.3.73.9

Service version  and controller driver version   17.3.73.6

If it helps any.. The Thunderbolt controller is on the system so install it along with the others without the dock plugged in. The TB16 firmware, 1.0.2 does need the dock plugged in.

3 Posts

Thank you for your reply. My company contacted Dell Support for the TB16 issue.

My biggest problem right now is that I can't download Thunderbolt Control Center from the MS store. Since after the driver updates, it threw an error saying that the "application was not detected as could be remove safely", I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it again, but it gets stuck on "starting download", and sometimes in "acquiring license". Without that, I cannot tell if the TB16 works properly now or not.

What can I do in this case?

EDIT: Sorry for double reply. I tried to answer separately

3 Posts

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did install the TB16 updates from its own page. The strage thing is that it worked with some flaws at the beginning, then just stopped detecting usb after the update. Even, when I tried to run the firmware again, an error popped up saying that the ASMedia USB had an error, but this controller says it installed successfully (even uninstalling/reinstalling it)

And then, since I cannot download Thunderbolt Control Center from the MS Store, I can't tell if it has been detected or not

9.4K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 08:00

TB16, USB devices stop working:

USB devices connected to TB16 dock can build up lag and eventually stop working. For many users, updating their PC to the most recent revision of the BIOS, system drivers, and firmware available on the Dell Support Site will resolve the issue.

There are some workarounds for this issue:
1. Simply redocking the PC will usually resolve the issue for a time
2. A more long term solution is to use the F2 key to get into the BIOS and disable the Intel C-States

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 06:00

Dear Robert,

having a problem with my TB16 - for whatever reason the ASM USB 3 Driver cannot be updated on my TB16 - please see screenshots in the link below

Link to 2 screenshots

Any help would be highly recommended, I'm concerned I may need a replacement dock.

Best and thanks for your help - David

9.4K Posts

June 13th, 2019 07:00

Hi David,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

In looking at the screen shots you sent it shows a different model computer than the XPS 9380, so that may be one issue.  

If you could send me your Service Tag Number in a private message, I'll be able to locate the correct driver for your system.  Thanks.

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 16:00

I would like to join in on this discussion - we just got 2 new 9380s that are having this, or if not exactly this then very similar issues.  We have 35 9370s that work fine with these docks.  What I've noticed is that the displays attached to the dock will connect up, but not USB or ethernet - HOWEVER after logging into windows, all peripherals attached start to function - without approving the dock or doing anything further after log-in.  I should also note that I updated all the drivers, bios, firmware, and even the TB firmware as stated above in this threat.

No Events found!