Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

17 Posts

January 4th, 2020 20:00

The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop and the device has started experiencing at boot-up: 

The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge.  The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.   

The Dell Power Manager says the battery is healthy with 4 green dots. The BIOS setup says the battery is healthy, as well as the system diagnostics says it healthy.  However, the battery does not charge. 0%.

The system BIOS is 2.10.0.  Not sure if this is the problem. If I continue on, Window 10 does boot up and run.

The AC adapter is an OEM from Dell, with 45 W, 19.5 V and 2.31 A.  However, the error message seems to suggest the problem is with the adapter.  The BIOS battery information says:   AC Adapter:  Unknown

I am tempted to purchase the a DC Power Jack Cable Replacement for the Dell XP13.  However, I am not sure which one.  I hope the mother board is still good, as I have read somebody doing that related to this problem.   If the mother board was bad, wound not Windows 10 boot up and run?

Thank you for you help.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 5th, 2020 04:00

If the battery is healthy and with the adapter not recognized, there are 3 possibilities. The adapter is bad, the DC jack has a bent or missing centre pin, or the motherboard has problems. The motherboard problem would be in the charging circuit so would not affect whether it boots fine and runs Windows properly. The DC jack is available here.

You can try a system reset in the off chance it may correct the problem. Disconnect the battery and unplug the adapter. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and see if the adapter is now correctly identified. And if you have another Dell adapter available try it to see if the problem is corrected.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 25th, 2020 16:00

Eliminate the possibilities would do it. Try a new DC jack and another working adapter. If the problem remains then a MB is starting to look like the cause.

17 Posts

January 25th, 2020 16:00

I tried a system reset by disconnecting the battery and unplugging the adapter.  That did not work.  I pressed and held the power button for 30 seconds.  Still, the laptop says the AC adapter can not be found or is unknown, but the battery is healthy and not charging. 

How do I confirm that the motherboard is the problem?

I will look it getting a new DC jack.

Thank you,

Paul

2 Posts

January 25th, 2020 19:00

I have this same issue-Our XPS15 9560 purchased in Dec 2017 is recently having a BIOS error when powering up, "The AC power adapter wattage cannot be determined. The battery may not charge." We bought this system for the graphics capability to use CAD home design software after our house was destroyed in a California wildfire. The PC will work without the battery but we need to use it at the job site. A new AC adapter did not solve the problem. I realized that the power adapter port was missing the center pin insulator so it was replaced  and the PC is still not charging. I'm guessing that the missing port insulator allowed the pins to short and damaged the charging circuit. So 2 bad designs are crippling my PC that we paid almost $1200 for. How disappointing. My previous 5 year old HP laptop has never failed and is still going but the graphics card won't run the CAD software. Understandably this will probably be my last Dell. I don't expect Dell to to take responsibility for this but wanted to document it for others to see that may consider buying from them.

1 Message

October 25th, 2020 13:00

I made a quick video showing how I fixed the problem on my XPS 15 9550. I have two Dell 130w power adapters and the center pin was fine on both. The problem on mine was the DC Jack was moving when I would plug the power cable in. Hope this helps someone else who stumbles upon this forum.

https://youtu.be/X80Z4dMW-fM

5 Posts

November 3rd, 2020 14:00

Hello,

Same issue as original poster with our Dell XPS 5650 - I replaced the power jack in February 2020 and computer was able to charge the battery and be used with no issues. The issue reoccurred a few weeks ago. We have tried 2 new DC Jacks and a new adapter, all official Dell parts and now cannot remedy the problem. Does this mean the motherboard is bad? Is there any repair we can attempt?

Thank you in advance,

Josh 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 28th, 2021 03:00

Hi....did you get to the bottom of this error? My 9560 is mostly not recognising the ac adapter, sometimes it does & then the battery starts to charge.

Thank you.

Phil Moss 

1 Message

August 9th, 2021 04:00

Thanks. This was my issue. Saved a lot of headache and extra cost. 

May 29th, 2022 11:00

I had this problem with an Inspiron all-in-one desktop I’ve had for about five years.  Everyone’s first assumption  is that the power brick is bad so they buy an OEM replacement. That is rarely the problem. 

You might just have a weak CMOS  battery. Luckily you don’t need any deep understanding of computers to fix it.  For those that don’t know what a CMOS battery is, it looks like a silver coin on the motherboard.  With a little care and a tiny screwdriver, you can open the case, pluck out the battery and replace it with another similar one you can find at the drug store.

You may have to power it up two or three times but then all have to do is press F2 and set the time and date. The  fix: about five dollars. The sense of satisfaction: priceless.

No Events found!