Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2018 23:00

Triple screens on XPS 9350 with TB16 Docking.

Hello guys, 

I am currently using a DELL XPS 13 9350 on a TB16 Docking Station, and I wish I could be able to make it work on a triple screens configuration. I have 3 monitors capable of 1920*1200 (not 1080 I insist).

I have looked at the documentation of the TB16 docking which seems to confirm that this confiugration is possible. See here for the webpage (in French sorry but images on the bottom are clear enough) :

https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frdhs1/sln301105/informations-et-sp%C3%A9cifications-de-la-station-d-accueil-dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-?lang=fr

My Laptop does own an Iris Graphics 540. According to Intel documentation, this seems also te be possible.

I have plugged all of the screens ( 3x Lenovo LT2452p) using : display Port, mini Display Port, and VGA connectors. Everything is plugged on the TB16 Docking.

I have also of course updated all the drivers and firmware, but it is still not working.

I have 2 monitors running 1920x1200 properly, the third one is stuck at 720*576.

Can someone please help me troubleshooting the issue ?

Best Regards,

Pascal

October 18th, 2018 06:00

Hi guy,

I think I have to thank you for guiding me on the right path.

I've done all of your recommandations, and it was still not working. But, digging further on this forum I have found this gem wrote by you : https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Demystifying-USB-C-and-Thunderbolt-i-e-adapter-and-dock/m-p/5153006

This is what helped me, a lot. It made me remember that, on my Dell Docking TB16, I had changed the cord  that goes from the Docking to the Laptop, and as it was a matter of urgency, I took the cord from a WD15 Docking. Also, I wasn't able to properly update the firmware from the docking (probably because of this). All of these was weird and not normal. But my laptop was working fine without the TB cable so I forgot this until I tried to plug in the 3rd monitor.

So I guess I could only get my two monitor working properly because Iwas just trying to display 3 WUXGA screens on a single USB-C cable.

Replaced this with a clean TB16 Docking with the right cord, and it was working at the first attempt.

Thanks for your help, and for the super clear post on demistifying USB-C and Thunderbolt for me.

Best Regards,

Pascal

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Looks like we posted at the same time, and you covered the HDMI idea.  I was also thinking about an MST hub but didn't suggest it since they're expensive, but I see you've tested that.  I have one other suggestion in addition to confirming you've done all of the software and firmware updates I suggested above.  Did you make sure to disable your laptop's built-in display before you try to enable the third external display at full resolution?  I don't think that should be necessary since the Intel GPU will only do three independent displays regardless of resolution, but it might be worth trying.

NB. I have also tried by using a HDMI monitor to test the configuration, and it is still stuck at 720x576.

I made another try using a Startech DisplayPort 1.2HUB (https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-MSTDP123DP-Triple-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B0118K91KK), but still the same result.

Please help

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

If you haven't already, make sure that you've updated the firmware for the TB16 itself, because it recently got an update to address some video issues.  And I know you've said you updated all drivers and firmware, but just to confirm, make sure you've done all of the following:

- System BIOS/firmware
- Thunderbolt drivers/software
- System Thunderbolt 3 controller firmware (not part of the BIOS update)
- Intel GPU drivers

And just as a test even though your current setup should work, do you have a way to connect the third display via HDMI rather than VGA, perhaps via an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable?  For what it's worth, the image quality will be significantly better if you connect that way since VGA is an analog signal, whereas everything else being used these days is digital.

No Events found!