Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

22 Posts

March 5th, 2020 06:00

UHD?

Hello would like to buy XPS 13 Laptop.

Is the less battery life in UHD worth it over FHD plus?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 5th, 2020 09:00

@fabioconte  I switched from UHD down to FHD when I switched laptops.  I ordered an XPS 15 9530 back in mid-2013 and I got their UHD (well, 3200x1800) display option because I thought it would be good futureproofing.  I just got a new laptop a few months ago and went FHD instead, even though I bought it 6 years into that future that I had envisioned.  In my case, the reason had more to do with the fact that many Windows applications still don't handle display scaling quite correctly, which can make things look awkward at best and unusable at worst.  For example, I have some applications where text in certain areas of the interface doesn't scale, leaving it microscopic.  Other applications have text that shows up at the proper physical size but that isn't sharpened; it was instead just blown up, so it looks grainy.  Graphical elements often have this problem as well, and sometimes they show up TOO large.  So I decided to get a display that I would be able to use without scaling, although since you'd be using a 13" display rather than 15", you'll likely need some scaling no matter what.  However, with FHD you at least won't need as much scaling, so even adverse effects won't usually be as drastic.

But if you're concerned about battery life, based on the reviews I see about the recent generations of the XPS 13, the UHD display seems to reduce battery life by about 2.5 to 3 hours.  Of course that will vary based on how you use it, but it's a pretty significant hit.  It also makes the system thicker and heavier because you have a touchscreen and edge-to-edge glass.  And that's actually another thing that brought me back to FHD: I decided I preferred using anti-glare/matte displays rather than glossy displays.  And I don't care about touchscreen functionality.

If you're certain that all of your Windows applications will scale properly, AND you don't mind using a glossy display, AND you're ok losing a few hours of battery life and carrying some extra weight, then sure UHD might be nice in order to have razor sharp text.  I personally went with FHD because I decided that razor sharp text wasn't worth the tradeoffs, and I would have gone with FHD even if UHD had been a free upgrade, which of course it isn't.  But the other factor on the XPS 13 is that you're required to take the UHD display if you want certain higher-level system configurations to get more memory and/or storage.  There are some configurations where you can choose, but others where only one display or the other is available.  You can't customize the XPS 13 as much as other models.

22 Posts

March 5th, 2020 09:00

Hi Jp

thanks so much for your reply, it was really useful.

I was dead set on going for UHD thinking about futureproofing etc, but now leaning towards FHD to be honest.]

for a Laptop it does seem like the logical choice. 

I am not doing any graphic work or editing , just daily usual work and some entertainment such as Netflix etc, so I think FHD will be more than enough.

Like you I am also not bothered about touchscreen, I was actually looking for the UHD version but dropping touch but that wasn't available. 

I have a Dell All in One which is FHD, and the picture seems very decent for a 27 screen so I can only imagine on a 13 it would look even better. 

I was curious to see that Dell provide an FHD+ which is slightly more advanced than FHD, so that may hit the sweetspot for display and performance. 

The thought of charging the laptop regularly is something really off-putting for me.

Thanks so much for your advise.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2020 11:00

Get the display you want. I surely would not let battery life be a major factor.

It's more like price, resolution, touch/non-touch, glossy/matte ... things like that. 

I have the XPS-13 9300 with 4K+HDR (3840x2400) 16:10 touch-enabled screen . The PPI is very high at 13-inches. 

I'll say this ... it's very pretty (sorta like a large Retina iPhone display). Sharpness, brightness, colors, viewing-angles ... all good. Yes, (of course) you have to use some Windows display-scaling.

Even though it is touch (so glossy) it is not "a mirror" like some. However, unlike my old X1-Carbon-Gen2 ... there is no matte-film-sheet-layer permanently attached to the very front.

What else do you want to know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frMfqaHAJ3g

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 5th, 2020 11:00

@fabioconte  if you're happy with a 27" FHD display, then you will be quite happy with 13".  For many people, 27" FHD looks grainy because the more common resolution for 27" displays is QHD (2560x1440).  For reference, Windows is designed around an assumed pixel density of 96 ppi.  This means that if you're using a display with that pixel density and have everything set to standard zoom/scaling levels, something that is meant to be an inch wide will actually be an inch wide on your display.  Since many displays do NOT use that exact pixel density, a Word document shown at 100% zoom will not be real-world size.  But if you look at common display size and resolution combinations for desktop displays historically, you'll find that they have pixel densities around that mark.  A 24" FHD display is pretty close at 94 ppi.  But since even that's a bit lower than reference, a 27" FHD display is going to be even lower.  By comparison, a 27" QHD display is a bit higher than reference at around 108 ppi.  If you want to look at this yourself, take the display's horizontal pixel resolution and divide it by the width of the display -- NOT the advertised size of the display, which is its diagonal size!  And obviously make sure you only include the width of the display panel, not the display plus its bezels.

Laptops commonly have higher pixel densities because they're meant to be viewed from shorter distances, so even before 4K arrived on the market, they often had pixel densities in the 125-145 ppi range.  And now with 4K it's getting even crazier.

I will say that if you plan to use the built-in display and external display simultaneously, you should choose a display that will allow you to use the same display scale factor on both displays.  As I said above, some Windows apps already don't handle scaling well, but what's even worse is running multiple scale factors simultaneously on different displays.  So if you have a 24-27" FHD/QHD external display, that will pair better with an FHD laptop display.  If you have an 24-27" external 4K display, that might pair batter with a 4K laptop display.

The "plus" part of the FHD and 4K display options isn't because they're more advanced.  It's simply that the new XPS 13 displays are taller, so they have more resolution than "standard" FHD/4K.  FHD and 4K resolutions use a 16:9 aspect ratio, whereas the new XPS 13s have 16:10 displays.  So instead of 1920x1080 (regular FHD) you'd get 1920x1200 on the XPS 13.  That resolution used to be called WUXGA, but I guess Dell figured FHD+ was trendier and easier to understand these days.  I personally love 16:10 displays.  I always found the extra vertical space to be useful for productivity use cases, particularly the difference between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.  I could always tell when I only had the former.  On a QHD display at 2560x1440 (16:9) I don't mind as much since that's enough space for me, but even there some people prefer the much less common and more expensive 2560x1600 option (16:10).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2020 12:00

1. the more common resolution for 27" displays is QHD (2560x1440).

2. Laptops commonly have higher pixel densities because they're meant to be viewed from shorter distances,

3. I personally love 16:10 displays.

===================

1. True (like my Dell UltraSharp u2717d) . I tend to buy desktop-monitors like this (good fit without being too extreme):

24 inches = 1080p (a 16:10 aspect one is actually 1200p, but same difference)
27 inches = 1440p (sometimes referred to as 2K)
32 inches = 2160p (usually called 4K)

2. Correct

3. Same here. Still have my Dell UltraSharp u2410.

And I suggest you stay away from cheap TN-panel displays if you like better colors and viewing-angles.

22 Posts

March 5th, 2020 23:00

Thanks a lot everyone for your input . I don’t mind having a 27inch FHD it’s fine for home use but I’m still on the fence about which laptop to get FHD or UHD. These comments are great but I still remain undecided 🤷🏻‍ 

No Events found!