Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2020 16:00

USB-C Hub Not Working with XPS 13 2in1

I have an XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 with Windows 10 Home.

I bought a USB-C hub for the Thunderbolt port. The external hard drive that I have plugged into one of the USB-3 ports works as does and HDMI cable I have going to a monitor but nothing else works (including my wireless mouse, Cricut Explore Air and headphones)

The USB-C to USB-3 adapter that came with the laptop works perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 13th, 2020 18:00

@equanimity0523  If you have all of those plugged in at the same time, then the USB HDD is probably consuming to much power to allow for much else.  If the hub has USB PD power passthrough, you can try connecting your USB-C power supply to the adapter so that the adapter has external power available, but this can cause the adapter to "skim" some power off the USB-C source, which causes the system to see a lower wattage power source.  The way around this is to have a higher wattage USB-C source so that your system has the full wattage it's designed for even with the hub skimming some off, but of course that's a separate thing to buy.  The XPS 13 systems are designed for a 45W source, so for example a 60W or better source would avoid this.  I personally have this adapter (Amazon US link here) and it works great with all of the laptops I use it with.  It also supports the latest revisions of various technologies, which isn't true of several hubs right now.  For example, it supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) on its USB-C data port and USB-A ports, whereas many adapters only support 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps).  It also supports HDMI 2.0b for 4K 60 Hz HDR output (when paired with a system that supports DP 1.4 output over USB-C), whereas most adapters only support HDMI 1.4 for 4K 30 Hz or QHD 60 Hz.  And its USB power passthrough port supports up to 100W sources for up to 85W passthrough, whereas some hubs only support 60W inputs with sub-60W passthrough.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 13th, 2020 16:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

September 15th, 2020 17:00

Even when I unplug the two things that consistently work from hub and just try to use one thing at a time it's still not working regardless of whether I have the USB-C power supply plugged into the hub or not.

Thank you for the help I may just end up looking into buying a differnet hub.

No Events found!