Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2019 12:00

USB-C charger for Dell XPS 15 7590 (OLED, GFX1650)

Hi which USB-C charger/adapter should I get for an XPS 15 7590? I´m searching for a small charger to bring along for backup charging and avoid the standard bulk-charger. Its fine with charging when the XPX 15 is offline. Any experience or links? I could not find a USB-C charger on the Dell-site which support the 7590. Thanks and best regards!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 29th, 2019 13:00

@AndenAnd2  and @RPTog , I haven't personally worked with the 7590, but if it's like the previous XPS 15 models that support USB-C charging, it won't work with any power source below 60W.  That said, even 60W is less than half of the 130W source it's designed for, so if you try to USE the system from a 60W source, you will likely encounter slower battery charging and possibly significant performance throttling as the system tries to reduce its power consumption.  In extreme cases, it might even continue draining the battery, but that's a last resort.  However, if you just want a physically small charger for travel/emergency purposes and plan to use it mostly while the system is asleep or off, here are some options I'd recommend.  The more useful (but more expensive) options are listed first, and then I've put a pair of basic chargers afterward.

-  This is my new favorite travel charger.  It has a 60W USB-C port, an 18W USB-C port (enough to charge newer iPhones at max speed, or a Nintendo Switch), and then two USB-A "regular USB" ports for anything else, which is basically the perfect combination of ports for the 2019 gadget ecosystem.  I carry this plus a USB-C to USB-A adapter dongle in case I ever want to use one of the USB-C ports as a third USB-A port.  I use this one charger to charge my laptop, phone, and watch every night, and then I still have one more USB port that I can use to charge either my portable battery pack or wireless headset, neither of which needs to be charged every night.  The only time I ever need another charger now is if I'm taking my XPS 15 and want the full 130W power source.  Otherwise, this covers all of my charging needs.  It's awesome.  Link

- This is a dual port 60W charger.  It can supply 60W out of either port when only one is in use, or operate in 30W+30W mode to charge two devices simultaneously.  Obviously the latter mode wouldn't be useful if one of the devices you're trying to charge is your laptop, but if you have other devices that can charge via USB-C and don't require more than 30W, you'd be able to carry this charger to cover both needs as long as you didn't need to charge everything simultaneously.  I personally have this charger in my living room. Link

- This is a simple single port 60W charger in black. Link

- This is a simple single port 60W charger in white.  Compared to the above charger, it's also a bit smaller because it uses gallium nitride rather than silicon, but that also makes it a bit more expensive. Link

1 Message

July 26th, 2019 14:00

Did you find a good one m8?

4 Posts

July 28th, 2019 13:00

Hi - nope, did you?

4 Posts

July 29th, 2019 23:00

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I bought the Satechi Type-C 75W Travel Charger with USB-C PD Fast Charge - only has one USB-C PD port, but only need one

I havent received it yet or the new laptop so cannot "review" it yet.

Thanks for the tips!

1 Message

October 3rd, 2019 23:00

Please give us feedback when you try it.

34 Posts

January 6th, 2020 13:00

I recently purchased XPS 13 7390 which only has usb-c ports and I also need an additional charger that can deliver about 60w (using a usb-c hub wth power delivery) . 

I ve been trying RavPower 61w (with additional usb-a port) , so it can supply the 45w the XPS requires. 

Although, I've been experimenting some strange behaviours when using it with the Anker USB C adapter 7in1. 

Somehow if I unplug the power line from the hub to connect the power back in a laptop port, then the laptop doesn't recognize the power adapter and is not charging . 

Apart of that , the RavPower 61w has been doing ok. ( I use a Anker cable)

Any experience with power adapter and a USB-C hub pass through on dell XPS 13 7390 ? 

very hard to find a good setup for those xps 13 .

February 28th, 2020 17:00

the dell 130W usb c power delivery works, even with fast charge included. but for 3rd party chargers dell secretly restricts the power consumtion to 65W (which you can check in bios) - so 100W chargers are quite useless here.

the only problem with the 130W dell usb c is that the pd charging for other devices is kinda slow because the engineers forgot many positions for the V and A.
20V@6,5A = 130W / 5V@6,5A = 32,5W / 20V@1A = 20W / 5V@1A = 5W
meaning that your smartphone will not quickcharge even it might get the most powerful juice.
this is a very devastating fact once you know in the 45W, 65W and 90W version of the dell usb-c it will quickcharge for sure because those charges support more steps between 5 to 20W on the low end which the 130W simply does not.
eventually this will overcome with future phones that support 40W charging - but wait - still that is not possible with the 130W charger.
anyway its the best solution if you run all your devices on usbc and just want to travel light weight.

for the next generation of chargers they should implement the following pd-conditions:
20V / 15V / 12V / 5V @ 6,5A / 5A / 4,5A / 3,25A / 3A / 2A / 1A which would result in this:
= 130W / 100W / 90W / 75W / 65W / 60W / 45W / 40W / 25W / 20W / 15W / 10W / 5W

also dell, please get rid of the old round ac charger bricks, everything will be usb pd in future and you can swap another thunderbolt/usb-c port which would gave us mor freedom (hopefully the upcoming xps 7500 will support this).

September 1st, 2023 17:49

Hi, I know it's been a few years but I was also looking for a usb-c charging alternative for my xps 7590. Have you found a solution to your question?

No Events found!