XPS

Last reply by 07-27-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

USB-C port on XPS 9560

I bought a WD My Passport to back up my laptop using Acronis, but when connecting the drive via the usb-c port on the computer, the backup always fails. I do have a cable that goes from USB-C to USB-A & the backup will run fine with that, but I thought USB-C would be a faster transfer rate. The log from Acronis shows 543.3 Mbps, would C be faster and why does it have a problem with connecting to that C port? I've been asked if that port is meant for a docking station - is it?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

No -- the limiting factor is the USB3 port on the drive, not the Thunderbolt port on the system.  Unless you have a Thunderbolt drive (which really comes into its own only if it's an SSD as opposed to a hard drive), there won't be any difference.

View solution in original post

Replies (3)
8 Xenon

It should not matter -- the drive likely has USB 3.x on it, and the Thunderbolt port (the -C connector on the system) is completely backward compatible with USB 3.

Try a different USB C to C cable to see if that changes anything -- it's the only variable present.

3 Argentum

I already did, when it initially didn't work, I bought another cable & had tried that, but with the same result.

Would the transfer speed be that much better going C to C?

No -- the limiting factor is the USB3 port on the drive, not the Thunderbolt port on the system.  Unless you have a Thunderbolt drive (which really comes into its own only if it's an SSD as opposed to a hard drive), there won't be any difference.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor